X

No choke cold start too rich????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No choke cold start too rich????

Since my jet kit has been in (Ivan’s) on cold starts I don’t / can’t use the choke. Does this mean my bike is too rich now? I thought the choke is for adding fuel well limit the amount of air taken (richen the fuel mixture) to allow for cold start. I don’t need that anymore so I assume it’s too rich??
    sigpic

A Fine is a Tax you pay for doing wrong!
    A Tax is a Fine you pay for doing well!

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u214/Chuckwick357/

I dont have to use the choke as much as I did before Ivans, I just pulled my pluggs and checked them (after 12,000 miles) and they looked perfect so I asumed my jet kit is in tune.

Comment

Ivan's does richen up the mixture. As a result, you will either not need to use the choke, or not need to use nearly as much choke. On the Kat, the term choke is a misnomer -- it is actually an enricher circuit that simply adds more fuel (doesn't "choke off" the air supply at all).

Whether it is too rich is debatable. It goes like this:
      Suzuki shipped the bike with the fuel-air ratio around 14.5-14.7:1. That's an ideal rate for perfect combustion of all fuel and reduces pollution levels. But it can make the bike hard to start, especially in cold weather.

Ivan's kit sets the fuel-air ratio around 14.2:1 at idle and around 13.1-13.2:1 everywhere else. This is much richer, which makes the bike much easier to start. It also produces more pollution as a result. The maximum torque on any gasoline engine occurs at a fuel-air ratio of 13.2:1. So by installing the Ivan's, you've increased the torque output and made it easier to start, by effectively richening up the mixture. It's not so rich as to be detrimental to the operation of the bike in general.

Hope that clears things up!

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I just got my Ivans jet kit, I have a D&D slip-on, Will the jet kit fix it from running lean and back firing when I let off on the throttle. Or will I still have to do some adjusting to the carbs?

Comment

mine did the same thing. Put the jit kit in and it went away. so I would say the jet kit would fix it .

Comment

So is it running ok ? No burps or anything odd ? We can check the plugs next time you come down if you want .... How's the milage ? I'd it's running fine , and plugs look ok , I wouldn't worry . I'd be happy that's one less thing you gotta mess with to get going .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
              So is it running ok ? No burps or anything odd ? We can check the plugs next time you come down if you want .... How's the milage ? I'd it's running fine , and plugs look ok , I wouldn't worry . I'd be happy that's one less thing you gotta mess with to get going .
              The bike it running great. Even better, since the sync (smooooooth) it’s pulling strong. Front end is light in 1st. I just thought it odd with the whole choke-less start thing. From what I know about engines that seemed weird. That was only reason I had to question the mixture. I will pull the plugs to check them out, but from what cyber said and the way it’s running it sounds ok. I haven’t checked the mileage yet, forgot to set the trip last time. I am ¼ thru this tank so if the weather holds I’ll know soon.

Black_Kat23: I don’t get the off throttle backfires anymore either so that may be you answer.
              sigpic

Comment

So what'd the plugs have to say ? Enquiring minds wanna know .....
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                  So what'd the plugs have to say ? Enquiring minds wanna know .....
                  i don't know yet. i was working on my R/c car yesterday. it's a 1/10 scale. hoping to get 60mph ot of this one
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X