X

520 vs. 530

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 520 vs. 530

Thinking about upgrading a few things on the kat and I am trying to figure out the advantages/disadvantages of the 520 conversion with a 14t front sprocet and a 50t rear sproket vs the same upgrades with the 530 chain. Can anyone shed some light on this whole upgrade to me?

More detailed explinations may come from others, but basically, a 520 chain, being smaller and lighter, absorbs less of the energy (in the form of torque) while it transfers torque to the rear wheel.

That said, it is not a big difference, and you will sacrafice chain and sprocket life.
    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Agree with StevieB

520 is lighter since it's narrower. Also manufactorers are making some really good strong chains in the 520 size so your not losing chain life if you go with a high quality chain.

Comment

bump... any other opinions?

Comment

People use 520 chain & sprockets because it reduces weight. IMHO, on a bike that weighs more than 500 lbs, it's a silly reduction and a set of #530 steel sprockets and chain will provide you the longest lifespan, meaning more time riding and less time fixing.

If you shop wisely, you can find a Vortex + RK combo pack (sprockets + chain as a single unit) for a price that will beat buying them individually -- and they'll come with a 20k mile warrantee.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
          X