No announcement yet.
X

Choke lever frozen

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do yourself a favor and get some thick teflon based lube and pre lube the choke cable before installing.
    Next do a search for "choke AND cable" putting "the CyberPoet" in the "author" field. This should return his post on how to correctly route the choke cable.
    He came up with an improvement over the stock location..

Comment

I've really taken a liking to Dupont's teflon lube. Problem is, you can't get it in Canada yet for some reason. Found some at Lowe's in NY state and cleared the shelf of for them. Only 11 cans.
      2000 Katana 600
      2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

I had a tiny (2 oz??) can I just used up that came with a Slick 50 treatment.. Must have had it 13 years! Worked great and you only needed a tiny bit!

Comment

So does the tank have to be removed to replace the choke cable? I read the thread on repositioning the choke cable and 'think' I understand it. Am I right in thinking I should position the cable closer to the other ones and zip tie it there?
          01 GSX-R 600 - summer daily driver

Comment

Yeah , tank comes off .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

This is a very helpful thread, I am also having a similar issue with my 96 katana. The choke worked fine when I bought the bike but 2 days later after I had the fairings all off and I gave the bike a thourough cleaning, the choke didn't work anymore. Probably a rusty cable if I understood this post right. Thanks for all of your advice, even though it wasn't aimed at me it helped!! Later.

Comment

I was able to change the choke cable without removing the tank by just lifting up the back of the tank. It would have been easier to link the cable if the tank was off but I had a full tank of gas and didn't have the means to easily drain it. The problem ended up being a rusty cable, somewhere in the middle of it it was frozen.
                01 GSX-R 600 - summer daily driver

Comment

Thanks kevdog, I will try and lube my cable first, I know it worked like a week ago so maybe my cable isn't as far gone as yours was. Later.

Comment

Originally posted by kevdog
                    It would have been easier to link the cable if the tank was off but I had a full tank of gas and didn't have the means to easily drain it.
                    You do not have to drain the tank to remove it..

It's not that heavy!
                    :P

Comment

The reason it's stuck is explained in detail here:
                      KR Thread: Frozen Choke Cable Investigations.

Cables are cheap -- if they're stuck replace them.

I carry replacement throttle & clutch cables that I have ready to ship today (at least if you have a 98+ model) cheaper than even the mail order dealers. Unfortuantely, I don't have a choke cable in stock right now...
                      See this thread for details of what I offer & carry:
                      Katana Rider's Specials: GSXF Maintenance Items & Upgrades for sale by The Cyberpoet

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                        Originally posted by kevdog
                        It would have been easier to link the cable if the tank was off but I had a full tank of gas and didn't have the means to easily drain it.
                        You do not have to drain the tank to remove it..

It's not that heavy!
                        :P
                        Hell , you don't even have to FULLY remove the tank . Just slide it back and lay it across the bike . 10 minute job TOPS .
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                        X