X

Clutch Burning, just changed oil

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Burning, just changed oil

My clutch has started slipping. I just changed oil to Castrol Actevo (a syn blend 10w-40). It exceeds JASO MA and API SG standards, so why would my clutch start slipping?
    None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
    -Robert Morrison

"
    well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Because either:
    (A) you glazed the pads (clutch pads are made of the same basic friction materials as brake pads, and just like brake pads, overheating the pads can glaze their surfaces, rendering them totally non-grippy), OR
    (B) Because your clutch cable is stretched or misadjusted, or the pivot mechansim where the clutch action enters the tranny is sticking; OR
    (C) Your pads are worn down and ready to be replaced; OR
    (C) You already had something else in your engine that wasn't good for the clutch pads (like SJ/SL/SM rated car oil ) -- you only get out around 70-80% of the oil in your bike when you do a normal oil change (bike holds 5.1 liters -- but you only change 3.8 to 4.4 liters at a pop). Dumping the oil cooler manually and leaving the oil pan drain open overnight helps bump that number up to around 90% changed during an oil change.

PS - the Act>Evo didn't cause it.

Good Luck!
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

It's a relatively new bike , too . You been drag racing again ?
      You DID just do alot of work to it . You play with anything on the clutch cable ?
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
      X