spark plug problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spark plug problems

Hello Everyone,
    I have a 1999 katana 750. The bike has been a little hard to start in the cold and I figured I would change the plugs with new NGK CR9EIX iridium plugs. I took the tank off and front fairings and popped the spark plug cables off. That is where the problem started I could not get my spark plug socket on the plug completely in order to unscrew them. It seems like the spark plugs in there are a little bigger because the socket will not slip on it. I tried for 15 minutes trying to get it on there using wd40 to help with no luck. I even went and got different sockets from my local auto zone and no luck. I tried the spark plug socket size 16mm and 5/8(both seemed to small), 18mm(too big could not even get it all the way in maybe a clearance problem). 16mm and 5/8 slips on the new plugs with no problem. I don't understand why I am having this problem it seems like such a easy job. I have changed my plugs to a few of my own cars without a hitch. Why am I having such a hard time getting the socket on, could the previous owner put in the wrong plugs or do I need some different socket? I am sure many of you have changed your plugs with similar models any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sam

I use normal deep-well sockets and then a magnetic pick-up tool to get the plug out of the well.

Shine a flashlight in the wells and make sure there's nothing unusual. Wouldn't be the first time I'd found the inside rubber piece from an old spark plug socket in there.....

Comment

There's a tool in your under-seat OEM toolkit that might do it... It looks like a tube of steel stamped into a hexagonal on one end, and with a pair of small holes close to the other end (screwdriver goes through those holes to provide rotational leverage). If that doesn't fit the plugs in there now, someone stuck something very inappropriate in there (or they stripped out the threads, retapped it larger and had to go to a larger size to compensate for the new threads).

The OEM NGK plugs for the 98+ are all 5/8th's outside hex size.

Good luck!
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I'm thinking what Cyber said and that someone retapped it. Try the 17mm deep well socket. Something has to fit it. Then you can just trade out the ones you just bought for the retapped size.
        "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
        JOHN 16:33

Comment

Thanks for the quick response guys. I don't have a set of deep well socket's yet. I will buy some tomorrow and try using the 17mm. I really expected the 5/8th's to work and it threw me off when it didn't work. I will let you know how it goes.

Comment

I ended up getting the plugs out, turns out that the plugs on my 99 katana 750 were 18mm(jr9c). I had to use a regular deep socket 18mm, the spark plug 18mm socket did not fit I think the walls of the socket were to thick. I looked up the plugs on the NGK website and they listed the smaller cr9ek plugs for 99-2005 katana 750. So why would my 99 katana 750 have the plugs that are supposed to be for the 89-98 katana 750's? Anybody have a 99 Katana 750 and know what plugs you have? I now have to sell the 4 new cr9eix iridium plugs that I bought because they don't fit. Anybody interested in buying them?

Thanks,
            Sam

Comment

Originally posted by samuelgb
              So why would my 99 katana 750 have the plugs that are supposed to be for the 89-98 katana 750's?
              Most likely someone replaced the head of that engine with a pre-98 head as a repair part. It's the only reason I can imagine that all four of the plugs would be the old-size. I can't see someone retapping all four plug wells...

I now have to sell the 4 new cr9eix iridium plugs that I bought because they don't fit. Anybody interested in buying them?
              If you bought them from me, I'll take 'em back, less shipping. If you bought them from someone else, see if they'll accept them back. I have the ones you need here.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                So why would my 99 katana 750 have the plugs that are supposed to be for the 89-98 katana 750's?
                Most likely someone replaced the head of that engine with a pre-98 head as a repair part. It's the only reason I can imagine that all four of the plugs would be the old-size. I can't see someone retapping all four plug wells...

I now have to sell the 4 new cr9eix iridium plugs that I bought because they don't fit. Anybody interested in buying them?
                If you bought them from me, I'll take 'em back, less shipping. If you bought them from someone else, see if they'll accept them back. I have the ones you need here.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Thanks for the responce cyberpoet, I agree that someone must have changed the head. I did not get them from you but would have if I realized you were selling them. I already ordered the correct plugs on my bike JR9C from the local Advance Auto here in NY. I am already figuring that I will not get back what I paid on the wrong plugs I ordered(cr9eix). I probably should have checked what plugs were in it first. Live and learn as they say.

Comment

Working...
                X