X

Removing the tank?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing the tank?

Hey I'm going to need to remove my tank to get a new "starter cable" installed.

I call it a choke cable but what ever.

I would like to know how to get the lines of the tank with out spilling gas out of the tank every ware.

The petcock is vacuum activated. So long as it's not on prime, it won't flow fuel.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Ok so can I take off all the hoses on the gas tank and be ok?

Comment

There should only be 2 fuel lines, one on either side of the petcock (unless you have an aftermarket one like me, it only has one line that I have to tee off...but I digress)
        and one vacuum line, running all the way to carb 4 (far right). There may or may not be avent hose as well...
        "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy"

"True wisdom, only comes from pain"

Comment

Yea I figured there was a vent hose on there. I think I counted two coming from the petcock, and two others.

Basically my goal is to make sure they are all ok to take off.

Comment

The secrets to removing the tank:
            1. Place a towel or piece of rug or something else that won't scratch paint where you plan to put the tank down.
            2. Disconnect the petcock lines.
            On the 98+, disconnect the fuel tank sender molex connector on the right side of the airbox, and disconnect the vacuum line for the petcock at the #4 carb nipple instead of at the petcock.
            Pre-98's, not 100% sure on the order.
            3. Lift the tank at the rear, slide it 1.5" towards the rear of the bike, then lift more (the front of the tank has C-formed metal tabs fits into a rubber channel by the steering head -- lifting up without sliding back will bend those).
            4. Then remove any other plumbing from the tank, such as the overflow drainage tube (bottom center) & secondary vapor vent line (California models only), plus the gauge sender wires if you didn't disconnect them earlier,
            5. Now lift the whole tank away and set it down on the towel.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have another question partaining to gas tank removal. When I removed my tank and drained it to paint I put oil in it to coat the walls. When I reinstall do I need to drain as much of the oil as possible or will it be ok to just fill it up with fuel and go.

Comment

Originally posted by tigers202002
                I have another question partaining to gas tank removal. When I removed my tank and drained it to paint I put oil in it to coat the walls. When I reinstall do I need to drain as much of the oil as possible or will it be ok to just fill it up with fuel and go.
                I wouldn't have put any oil in the tank. You'll probably need to use a solvent of some kind to clean the tank out....

Normally the tank should be okay so long as it's ventilated and there is no moisture built up inside it.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

... oh yeah, dont forget to unplug the fuel guage!

Oil in tank...bad juju!
                  "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy"

"True wisdom, only comes from pain"

Comment

no I don't think I need a solvent. Its not that bad.

Comment

Just put a bit of gas in the tank and shake it around to remove the oil and drain it.
                      R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Just let Uncle Sam know there's oil in the tank. He'll come and get it
                        Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
                        - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by hellcamp
                          Just let Uncle Sam know there's oil in the tank. He'll come and get it
                          BUUUWHAHHAHAHHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!

Be careful though or he might occupy your house for a couple decades too! then when you arent looking he will pillage your country

Comment

Working...
                          X