X

Too rich/lean - change plugs??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too rich/lean - change plugs??

Been doing a lot of research in the mechanics forum about lean or rich mixtures. It seems as tho all problems in these areas are addressed with some carb adjustment and sometimes by no more than a 1/8th turn. Could you not go to a hotter/colder plug and accomplish the same thing??? Example: You are now running the stock plugs and you just added a slip on, now you're bike seems to run just a tad rich/lean. Why not just go up or down one in plug range? I, by the way, added a D&D slip on and was wonderin if any other adjustments are necessary?? The bike seems to be running fine. I installed the slip on at 100mi and now have over 3k and it seems to be doing ok. Comments/advice?? Also, can anyone tell me where I can locate a 5deg. ignition advance with installation instructions?

If your bike is running fine I say leave it.

If you wanted to 'fine tune' it, then you could get a jet kit, advancing the time would also help the fouling, and iridium plugs (for it's heat range).

Comment

How do I advance the timing and by how much??

Comment

It is VERY easy. You just purchase a timing advancer and plug and play basically. They only come in one setting for our bikes, so you don't have to worry about how much (I think it's 5 degrees)

Info

Vance & Hines

PM Special K for one

Comment

Installation

Comment

Re: Too rich/lean - change plugs??

Originally posted by katat58
            It seems as tho all problems in these areas are addressed with some carb adjustment and sometimes by no more than a 1/8th turn. Could you not go to a hotter/colder plug and accomplish the same thing???
            NO. And here's why:

Changing the temp range on the spark plug just changes how fast heat is drawn out of the combustion chamber head -- it does not change the fuel-air mixture rate at all. A good mixture rate will give you good throttle response and/or good mileage with low fouling build-up (letting the spark plug hit self-cleaning burn off temp and clean the cylinder at the same time).
            Masking a fouling problem with a different heat range of plug will not address bad throttle response AND it will still have your engine either building up carbon like crazy in the cylinder (too rich: bad for engine life because loose carbon scratches metal very easily) or running way hot (too lean: cracked valves, oil breaking down in record time due to thermal exposure).

For more understanding of spark plugs and heat ranges, I refer you to these two NGK's FAQ pages:
            NGK FAQ: Q: Why are there different heat ranges
            and
            NGK FAQ: Heat rating and heat flow path of NGK Spark Plugs

Example: You are now running the stock plugs and you just added a slip on, now you're bike seems to run just a tad rich/lean. Why not just go up or down one in plug range? I, by the way, added a D&D slip on and was wonderin if any other adjustments are necessary?? The bike seems to be running fine. I installed the slip on at 100mi and now have over 3k and it seems to be doing ok. Comments/advice?? Also, can anyone tell me where I can locate a 5deg. ignition advance with installation instructions?
            I sell the 5 degree ignition advancers and have them in stock ($49 delivered in the USA).
            See this thread (KR Member's Specials - CyberPoet's Offers) for much of what I carry for the Kats:

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

warranty voids?

Just thot of something! My Kat is still under warranty and will be until Aug. 07. If I make any mods such as the 5deg ignition advance or carb jet kit will this void the warranty??

Comment

Re: warranty voids?

Just thot of something! My Kat is still under warranty and will be until Aug. 07. If I make any mods such as the 5deg ignition advance or carb jet kit will this void the warranty??
                In the USA, modifications are covered under the (FTC site): Magnuson-Moss Warrantee Act. Any non-stock modification you make to the bike which CAN NOT BE LINKED DIRECTLY TO A FAILURE does not invalidate the warrantee in relationship to the failure. Any maintenance you do that utilizes the specification called for or better in terms of parts, lubricants, etc. does not invalidate your warrantee.

In other words:
                If you install the 5 degree advancer and your piston fails, your warrantee still covers it. But if you install the 5 degree advancer and don't tighten it down, it comes loose and eats up everything under the timing signal cover, that's 100% on you.

If you install the jetkit and your carbs stop working, that's on you. If you install the jetkit and the swingarm falls off, that's on them.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                X