X

simple question for you old timers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• simple question for you old timers

I just installed a D&D slip on on my 06 kat and on deceleration I get a faint popping noise kind of a puttering. When I really get on it there is some slightly louder popping noise. From what I understand it is common with slip ons for them to lean out the settings. By leaving them like this for a little while (a week or two at the most) am I doing any damage? Also would about an 1/8 of a turn be a good place to start?
    Wish You Were Here? And Yes That is Aaron Yates In The Background.

MY BIKE
    http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...rsionpardner1/

AMA SUPERBIKE RACE PICS:
    http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...20race%20pics/

yeah that should be fine, you're not hurting anything.

Comment

except your pride......a D&D! just kidding but yeah try a 1/8 turn to start.

Comment

better yet, get a K&N filter and re-jet it so you aren't running an overly lean mixture. Won't hurt it for awhile however, running too lean leads to overheating and accelerated wear to the valves and pistons
        sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
        MSF Rider Coach 27028
        MoPowerSports.com
        Torco
        SoCalTrackDays

Comment

Let me stick my neck out and show how really non-mechanically inclined I am...would running a higher octane gas maybe richer it up without adjustment? Probably not huh. As far as the D&D well in the South you gotta have a vehicle that makes some noise. It's almost a law that you have to have loud pipes. Lack of noise enforcement is a wonderful thing.
          Wish You Were Here? And Yes That is Aaron Yates In The Background.

MY BIKE
          http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...rsionpardner1/

AMA SUPERBIKE RACE PICS:
          http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...20race%20pics/

Comment

No, a different fuel will not change how much fuel is getting mixed into the air as it goes through the carbs. Only changing the actual jetting settings will do that.

As for whether it will cause any damages and how fast it might cause damages is strictly dependent on how lean it went (only an exhaust analyzer will really tell you that). The standard solutions are a 1/2-width shim washer under the stock needles and reset the pilot jet screws to 2-5/8th turns, or move to a complete jetkit solution (I recommend Ivan's for the 98+ Kats -- it outperformed the DynoJet kit by quite a margin for each bike I've swapped over).

As for the advice to move to a K&N filter on a 98+ Kat that's already running lean: oh vey -- don't. Talking to Marc over at FactoryPro and Ivan over at Ivan's Performance Products and both said the same thing: the K&N filters on the 98+ Kats doesn't provide any performance benefit to the bike at all. These are the top two fueling tuners for our bikes on the planet and they both said the same thing!

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

BUT with a K&N you DO get a reusable filter that can be cleaned and reoiled whenever you feel like it.

So far as teh Air/Fuel screws, if you can turn them with the bike running, you will be able to find the sweet spot where it likes to idle best. Do those one at a time to optimize the settings for each carb. You may also want to put a shim (small washer) under each needle to richen the mixture up for the pipe.
              Ron
              MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Originally posted by meanstrk
                BUT with a K&N you DO get a reusable filter that can be cleaned and reoiled whenever you feel like it.

So far as teh Air/Fuel screws, if you can turn them with the bike running, you will be able to find the sweet spot where it likes to idle best. Do those one at a time to optimize the settings for each carb. You may also want to put a shim (small washer) under each needle to richen the mixture up for the pipe.
                radio shack sells a washer kit ( $2) which you can find the proper size washers for the needle.

tim

Comment

Working...
                X