X

starting problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting problem

ok guys, its 35-40 here in wisconsin, im still riding cuz there is no snow and the other day im rdiding around all day and the bike is running fine, when all of a sudden i jump no hit the start and her a little poof like a fuse popped, so i check the normal fuse and then i check the fuse by the starter i think, the thing with the two terminals all the fuses are fine and i cant get it to start, i turn the key on and no lights or nothing. so i take the plastics off start pokign around turn the key again for fun and get lights hit the switch and same thing now im back to no lights or starting. any advice guys thanks in advance

OK did you hit the start button??? WHile it was running?? Im confused, a little punctuation goes along way!!!
    Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

no the bike was off and went to start it and then it went poof

Comment

Sounds like your ignition switch is goofed up.
        Try:
        Wiggling the wires going into it.
        Wiggling the key.
        Wiggling your butt (Just kidding)

Gunk can build up inside the switch plates.
        Also the plates can wear causing bad contact.
        If you can narrow it down to the ignition switch,
        disassemble it, clean the plates with an eraser (pink kind) and add dielectric grease. I had to shim my plate with a bit of thin foam, the plate was actually loose inside the housing.

Comment

I'd be more inclined to believe that water froze in the ignition, relay or the switches overnight.

Fuses all good? Then time to clean out the switches with something designed to displace water (like WD40), followed by cleaning with electrical cleaner (to get the oil the WD40 left behind out), and finally a bunch of dielectric grease.

PS - where did the "poof" come from?

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

too be completely honest, when i tried to start it, i was not expecting the poof, so i really wasnt paying a hole lot of attention, i wish i would have payed attention but i didnt, but i vaguely remember it from the area of the starter (switch) button

Comment

I've also had the unfortunate experience of having to rebuild the switch itsself..............loose connection inside.

I'd say get a Volt meter and start tracing/checking..........

Start Here:
              Battery
              Fuses & fuse block
              Starter Relay, specifically check THAT 30 amp fuse there
              Ignition
              Ignition switch

Wherever you are losing power aloing this route is where your problem is.........but this should also give you a route.

8)

I cvould keep going on, but this should do the trick............
              I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
              Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
              Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

awesome special k, i think im gonna tackle it today, and i thought it was that 30 amp fuse, cuz i had that problem on my 900rr back in the day but unfortunately it wasnt that easy on the kat, so i will start from the battery and work my way back, i appreciate all the help guys.

Comment

well i havent had the time to get a voltmeter, but when i turn the ignition to the on position the power to the clock goes away idk that, that is gonna help anyone in my dillema thanks if it does, no problem if it doesnt.

Comment

it kind of sounds like a bad ground, i had the ground come loose to my batt. on my jeep one day and when i would turn the key on all the lights would come on but when i would try to start it everything would go off

Comment

Make sure there isn't any corrosion inside the fuse block @ the ignition. I had that problem on mine. I checked everything else except inside the holder where the fuse goes in to. Sure enough there was corrosion on the contacts. Just my .02 cents.

Comment

thanks guys keep the advice coming, i appreciate it all

Comment

alright guys im gonna be honest with ya, i have absolutely no idea what the hell happened but thank you all for your help the bike is up and running, i just checked all the fuses "shimmied" the fuse box around and it started right up , thanks for all your help now im off to ride

Comment

I had the same trouble once after I worked on the bike. happened to be a loose battery-connector.
                            Nice the bike is running again icyhandlz but I guess you should "dive" into the problem either way, those gremlins mostly show up again at the most inconvenient moments...

Comment

Working...
                            X