X

something to watch out for !!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• something to watch out for !!

I just did the front end swap on my 88 kat what saprized me was my steering head bearings .. is is something to look for if you have a older kat

Not uncommon. They're supposed to get repacked every couple years when you do the forks -- but just as most people skimp on their fork oil, they skimp on their bearing maint as well.

Fortunately replacements are cheap! Look for "All Balls" brand as better than stock (and usually slightly cheaper).

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thanke cyber but with the 95 gixxr front end I put new bearing in with it.

Comment

Gahhh that's scary..
        Now I'm to scared to look at mine !

JK I checked them out and repacked them when I added the 600 top tree

Comment

Wow , I better put that on my to-dp list ....
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Good thing my forks are coming out sometime in January. They will definately get repacked when I pull it all apart.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
            who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Save $$$$$

If you can still read the ID Numbers on the bearings - you can get identical replacements at any industrial bearing outlet (phone book) for a lot cheaper than any dealer or aftermarket shop - this goes for wheel and other bearings as well, I have done this on all my bikes and my customers as well with no problems, most bearings are the same mfg. as the original. - sorry dealerships
              Its not the speed of life that kills you - It's that sudden stop at the end

Comment

If anyone does yank their bearings and can get the imprint info, please forward it to me, so I can add it to the Katana specs page for other's future use.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

verry saprizing

Comment

I will be pulling my front end apart either right before or after Christmas and will get that information for you Cyber. Hopefully mine will not be in too bad of shape and I can just repack it with some grease.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
                    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Mike Sachs, the full-time motorcycle tech instructor at the tech school I am sometimes adjunct at, had one of his students change the steering bearings on my B12 last spring. I had to buy the replacements at a mc frame shop, the owner there said that he had no sucess whatsoever cross referencing to industrial bearing supply numbers. He assured me that he would love to do so, as it would mean he would pay less, and could pass some of the savings on to his customers and also make a little more profit- both he and his customers would win, IF he could find crosses. They were not cheap= twenty bux!

Part of the reason these bearings have a fairly short life is because altho they are designed to be wheel bearings, which spin and spin, they are mounted to turn in a limited arc, which concentrates wear on a smaller area of the race. It also restricts the distribution of the grease. Nothing to do about it either, just gotta repack and replace as needed.
                      "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

reminds me...
                        Mine are shot too , have replacements laying around somewhere.

Btw SSH 901 is the imprint

Comment

Originally posted by kwebbel
                          Btw SSH 901 is the imprint
                          Year, Kat model (600/750), and which bearing (steering stem, front wheel left, front wheel right, rear wheel left, rear wheel right, swingarm, etc), please...

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                          X