X

ive had it with this bike...advise

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ive had it with this bike...advise

ive come to the conclusion that i suck at working on this bike.
    mainly because of the carb ,ignitor issues.
    do you guys think i should take my bike to the local suzuki dealer/bike shop for repair or to a independent bike mechanic?
    86 GSXR with 94 KATANA motor

always looking for good parts.

Yes, take a break from working on it yourself, spend the money a good indie shop will charge (less than the dealership, but gotta be more careful who you deal with) and chalk the expense up as being cheaper than doubling your time with your shrink.
    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB
      Yes, take a break from working on it yourself, spend the money a good indie shop will charge (less than the dealership, but gotta be more careful who you deal with) and chalk the expense up as being cheaper than doubling your time with your shrink.
      ok thanx for the advise.
      i think you are right ...all the time ive invested and i reallyu dont know what the shiz im doing any way..lol
      i was about ready to sell the damn thing but i really like the look of it compared to newer bikes.

Comment

Gixxer frame, GSX1100 engine? I highly doubt you could talk a dealer into even looking at it... I prefer independent shops anyway; better service and most of the time it's cheaper too!

/kiba
        find / -name "*your base*" -exec chown us:us {} \;

You must realize that someday you will die-until you know that, you are useless

If you can't make it fit with a sledge hammer, don't force it!

Comment

We're talking about the '89 GSXR and not the 94 Kat, right?

Might see if you can spot someone else riding one in your area and ask him (her?) for who takes care of their mechanical needs -- you might either find a helpful hand in them, or the name of a mom-n-pop shop that knows it's stuff. Big dealerships tend to focus mostly on new bikes and often have techs that have only been out of school for a few years -- you're looking for someone who remember that bike when it was still new on the sales floor and has worked on them extensively.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Interesting note:
            I found the local Japanese grease monkey here,
            charges about the same for labor as the dealer.

So as a sanity check ask the dealer what he charges.
            One advantage to a small shop could be that as they need the money more I would think they would offer more timely repairs.

Comment

If you live within 100 miles of a dragstrip, there WILL BE local shops experienced with oil-cooled suzuki's. Another great advantage to owning one of these bikes.
              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Why pay others ???

The ignition system seems complex - but before spending a bunch
                of money, I would try several things.

do you have the manual? - if not get 1, it's the best 25 bucks you
                can spend on your bike.

Do you have a digital volt meter - Sears has several for under $ 50.00
                several even have temp sensors included.

Follow the procedures step by step, do not deviate or jump ahead !
                This will usually tell you what part is bad, take your time and it will work.
                My friend (no previous elect. experience) just fixed his 82 GS750 with only a phone call or 2.

The $ 200.00 - ???? you save will buy all the tools and the feeling from fixing it yourself - priceless

for questions - pm or e-mail me
                Its not the speed of life that kills you - It's that sudden stop at the end

Comment

While I'm all for good tools;
                  In my travels I have used everything from $5 Multi meters to $5000 ones. I'm lucky I have a Fluke 73III ($150) with separate temp converter ($90)
                  However when it comes to 95% of the work I've done the $5 (needle type) meter would have worked. After all one of the features expensive ones have is the "fast" bar graph, for seeing quick transitions. It is made to mimic a needle style. Honestly if you have exhausted the usefulness of a cheap DVM you are:
                  Measuring high voltages. (25KV)
                  Need RMS measurements.
                  Wacky impedances or frequencies.
                  Need an O-scope..

The only function my fluke has that a lower end unit doesn't is a trap. I used the hell out of a $15 DVM I picked up for work. I've even seen some in that range that have temp probes and transistor testers.. So while spending money on good tools is important, I just wanted to throw that out there..

Comment

Actually, it just dawned on me that LetsRide's shop is probably quite close to you (it's over by Twelve-Oaks). He knows his Kats and might well be worth contacting via PM's for help.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                      Actually, it just dawned on me that LetsRide's shop is probably quite close to you (it's over by Twelve-Oaks). He knows his Kats and might well be worth contacting via PM's for help.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      thanx guys im soaking it in....
                      12 oaks ?
                      in navarre?
                      never seen a shop there.

Comment

Nevermind... I thought you were slightly east of Tallahasee.

LetsRide's shop is close to Jennings (think I-4 & I-10 area). SweetLou is probably the closest person to you that I can think of who knows his stuff, but I don't know what his schedule/availability is like (or if he's travelling for his work).

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                        X