01' Kat Tune up

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 01' Kat Tune up

hey all,

My 01 kat 600 needs a tune up. I need some ideas on plugs and wires and whatever else i need. keep in mind i have no clue about bikes but was told i needed a tune-up.

Thanks in advance,
    Martin

What it probably needs:
    15k Service.

That's slightly over 4 liters of motorcycle oil, an oil filter, a set of NGK spark plugs, a valve adjustement and possibly in your case an air filter and brake fluid flush. Figure around $300-$340 at a dealership (including the plugs, oil, filter, etc), or about $50 - $60 if you already have the tools and do it yourself.

I sell the OEM oil filter, oil filter wrench, spark plugs and valve tappet adjustment tool -- all cheaper than your dealer will. You can get the shop manual online here at KR in PDF format (or I can throw it into the package with the parts on CD), which can guide you through the process. You may also want to change the air filter (I sell those too). Brake fluid is available at any auto parts store (any DOT 4 spec fluid will do -- I recommend Castrol GT LMA); oil will probably require you to visit a motorcycle-specific shop to buy.

In terms of tools, you'll need a torque wrench, a standard 3/8" drive ratchet and metric sockets, a set or two of feeler gauges, and a set of metric allen keys at minimum. In terms of time, if it's your first time doing it, I'd suggest budgeting yourself about 8 hours (only takes someone who knows how about 2-3 hrs to do everything on the list, including stripping down the fairings).

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

what I did to speed things up I found a broken allen key. so I now use the allen key and a drill to remove the fairing screws. I set the drill to low toque and then tightn by hand. I am just wondering if everyone elses drain plug screw is a 21mm because I can't find a socket that size to fit my 3/8 torque wrench?

Comment

Try visiting sears. You can get a 21mm 12-point socket for $6 as item #00944297000 (they come standard in all the 120+ piece mechanic tool sets as well).

Mine was a 21mm until I swapped in that Fumoto Valve.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
        X