X

Tip over switch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip over switch

I'll ask this question before I take my Kat in for repair. I 3/4 side standed my Kat. It fell over past horizontal. It took me about 3 minutes to get it back up, once up it would not spark. period. It has power battery is good, I checked all fuses and kickstand kill switch. Is there a tip over switch like on the GSXR that kills the start up once it is triggered? can anyone with a servie manual give it a quick flip through? Much appreciated and needed, I have had about 5 weeks of down time.

Thanks
    KatanaTX

No tip-over switch as such. The biggest problems are usually the carbs losing their fuel while being on their sides (setting the petcock to prime for 60 seconds before starting should rectify that by refilling the carb bowls), and possible damage to either the sidestand or the clutch lever pivot switch that keep the safety interlocks from registering correctly (if the starter is turning at all, both of those safety interlocks are fine).

Depending on where that fuel went, you may also have one or more cylinders filled with a bunch of gas (meaning it won't want to compress correctly). Finally, that fuel had to go somewhere, and usually it ends up in the oil, meaning an oil change may also be called for, if the fuel was permitted to pool for some time. Pulling the tank, removing the plugs, putting a tablespoon of oil in each cylinder and then covering the plug openings with a rag, turn the engine over with the starter. That should push excess fuel out of any of the cylinders. Add a teaspoon of oil afterwards, reinstall (or replace) the plugs and start her up...

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks for the tips! Very much appreciated, I think I have it narrowed to the clutch assembly switch from your sescription on the handlebaar. I am going to hunt it down in the AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaTX
        Thanks for the tips! Very much appreciated, I think I have it narrowed to the clutch assembly switch from your sescription on the handlebaar. I am going to hunt it down in the AM.
        It's to the right of the pivot mechanism, and the back end of the lever pushes a contact switch to trigger the circuit. Going to it is a two or more commonly three-wire pigtail, which may simply be loose. The worst situation is if the plastic retainer clip catch on the wiring harness broke, in which case there is nothing there to hold the pigtail tight into the switch (and the plug for the wiring harness end of the equation isn't available as a separate piece, unfortunately). If that is the case, you have a couple options, including glue or rubberband/ziptie (to hold the parts together), disabling the clutch sensor switch (shorting certain wires together -- careful, it will let you start in gear if that's the case, which can push it off the sidestand), or rewiring it to a contact switch elsewhere (doubles as a theft-reduction device).

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Genius! It worked! Thanks a milliion to Cyberpoet and Need4Speed and suzuki2k! It turned out clip was partially disengaged and the clutch body switch housing was loose.

You guys did a great job and many thanks to this board and web site for the help!

Comment

wish i saw this post earlier as i had the same thing happen to my bike , but with mine i figured out that if i pull up on the clutch lever wile also holding it in , it will start up . i havent fixed it yet since i know what to do to start it , and it sorta acts like a kill switch . some people get on the bike and try to start it and cant
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X