Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Stripped spark plug hole (did a search already)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripped spark plug hole (did a search already)

One of the guys that work for me has a 96 CBR F3 that has a stripped spark plug hole. Is the only fix a new head or can he have that one Heli-coiled? He called around to find a price on a new head and the dealer told him $1400!!! But he did find a used one for $200 at a local M/C junk yard. I'm sure somebody must have ran across this problem before, any help would be great. Thanks.
    "Stupid is as stupid does" - Forset Gumps Mama

His options are basically:

(A) Helicoil. Not a great solution, but it'll hold a while.
    (B) Keensert. A much better solution, will last the life of the bike and he'll never strip it out. Figure $150 at machine shops that do it if he brings them the head -- or double that and they'll do all four at once.
    (C) Replace the head (used). Better solution than a helicoil, IMHO.
    (D) If there is space (not all bikes), retap to the next larger spark plug size and run a larger plug in there. Many bikes don't have that option because of the spacing on the valves.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i would NEVER recommend a heli coil. bought a head for my car from a company that put one in there and one week later it was leaking air and blew a nickle size hole in the piston. the second one is feasible.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

just drop a paperclip in the threads there and the plug will screw in. trust me.

Comment

Stab, it will screw in, maybe. but is that a permanent solution? I don't think so. Sounds more like a "Macgyver fix to get me home from a weekend out of town" fix

I'd reccomend a new (used) head, stripped plug threads = bad
          Live and Lean.
          When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
          "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
          Romans 3:23

Comment

Are there any CBR forums that you could check out to see if anyone has used a Helicoil to repair spark plug threads?

Personally, I would give a Helicoil a shot. It will not cost an arm and a leg and I would bet that it will hold. I would be afraid of a keyed insert (aka Keensert). They require a large tap size than a Helicoil. I would be worried about cutting into the water jacket.

Comment

new head

Comment

I've done most of those.............Heli-coils won't hold under teh heat and pressure.

New head is best bet, but if money is a factor, tap it out next size and get a different size plug with teh same depth and heat range. Vacuum out the tap shavings with a really small but really poweful vac with a tiny nozzle and some WD-40.

Works wonders.
                I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

I know this is an old post, but it is a new problem for me. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried Timeserts, www.timesert.com , for this problem (or if you might have an opinion or thought about them). By looking at their website, it looks like they are actually made to be used on spark plug holes. I know Arsnic will say Keenserts are still better, but these look like maybe a better solution than heli-coils at least. Only thing I have a problem with is trying to find where to order them online. I guess you have to call one of their dealers.
                  2000 Katana 600
                  Search KatRiders with Google | SEO Firefox Extension | New SUSE Linux Users | My Motorcycle Blog

Comment

I wouldn't say that, thats CP's deal, I'd just replace the head

Comment

TimeSerts and KeenSerts are basically similar, with KeenSerts having the added function of driven keys to keep the entire assembly from rotating.

Either should work very well.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I would replace the head.
                        2007 Honda CBR600rr
                        2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...