X

stainless steel oil filter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stainless steel oil filter

I searched and could not come up with a post on this. Has any used the stainless steel oil filter system from hyperformance? Here is the link to it. The price is a little steep over $100.00 but if you change the oil like you should would it be worth it.

go ahead and ruck it!!!

A friend of mine rides his 750 Kat with a Scott's Performance Oil Filter, and I've had it torn apart and looked at closely when he first got it. Basically, think of a really fine metal mesh screen. It's not going to trap anything microscopic (which is about 90% of what contaminats oil physically), but it is going to trap larger stuff (you can literally see the holes with your naked eye if you look closely). It does have a pretty strong magnet built into the set-up, which is good. You really need to have a compressor around to clean it properly (i.e. - to blow any trapped debris out).

I've always been iffy on the Scott's filtration abilities. I mean, as far flow rates go, it flows almost as well as not having anything in place, but the Kat's oiling system is split anyway and the flow-rate through the filter doesn't affect the flow-rate to the engine's critical components. Malloc, who's been running this filter started complaining about low oil levels (implying his bike was burning oil) just a few weeks ago; he's been running the Scott's for about 2.5 years now and added probably about 35k miles to the bike (to put him around 42k total) in that time.

I have a scan of their product literature here (the stuff that came with the filter), and the liability section is part of what put me off from putting one on my bike (along with my sense of common sense -- better filtration always equals longer lifespan for engines):

STATEMENT OF LIABILITY
    This product is sold for competition use only, and is sold as-is, without warranty, expressed or implied. K&P Engineering shall, at their discretion, replace any parts which they judge to be defective in materials or workmanship. The User shall determine the suitability of this product for his or her use, and shall assume all risk of liability in conjunction with that use. Neither K&P Engineering, it's suppliers, subcontractors, dealers or agents are liable for any loss, injury or damage whatsoever arising from use of this product. User accepts liability for cleaning and inspection of this filter before use.

I had a bunch of close-up pics of the filtering screen & cannister set-up as well, but can't seem to locate them...

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks CP, your info is always appreciated. I guess with holes that big their represenation of the microns it filiters is bogus. I have compressed air with a parts washer hook up to clean it out but I am worried about stuff getting through.

Cheers,
      go ahead and ruck it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rugby01
        Thanks CP, your info is always appreciated. I guess with holes that big their represenation of the microns it filiters is bogus. I have compressed air with a parts washer hook up to clean it out but I am worried about stuff getting through.
        If you look at it a different way:
        Scott's Filter S2 for a Kat: $119 (sale $107.10).
        OEM Suzuki oil filters via me: $8 each, and each is good for 11k miles (3 oil change intervals according to Suzuki). That would mean you trade-off point in terms of cost would be 147,262 miles at the sales price.
        Even if you replaced the oil filter each oil change interval (3.5k miles according the Suzuki workshop charts), it would still take over 45k miles to reach equivilent cost value at the sales price. That's far more than most people own their bikes...

If you are a racer and every little performance difference counts, then this is an obvious upgrade. For a typical street rider, it makes little sense IMHO.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thanks, will be ordering from you after the new year. Probably the whole lot oil filters, bleeders, heat gauge, valve adjustment tools, and voltage gauge. I think the heat gauge is very important and it seems like an easy install. Extra $ towards christmas. Last year laid off during holidays which sucked a year later buying my first bike since college what a year.
          go ahead and ruck it!!!

Comment

Working...
          X