X

750/600 top clamp swap?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 750/600 top clamp swap?

Firstly, I did a search, and found a few posts (in threads regarding lowering the front end) that imply that its possible, but I'd like to clarify more if possible.

My Wife and I went bike shopping this morning. She bought me an '06 750 Kat early in the summer, and she started riding my old Honda CM400. She's outgrown it, and now she's looking into a bigger bike.

We stopped at the local Suzuki dealership to look at an '06 600 Katana.
    We compared the specs last night. With the 600 weighing a claimed 7 pounds less than the 750 (600=458, 750=465), I thought she would have difficulty moving it around. I was wrong- it is like moving around an entirely different bike, both when walking it (while seated) and while pushing it (standing up, off to the side of the bike). I can move the 750 with no problems at all- the 600 just felt so much steadier and easier, and I think its because of the lower bars.

The only thing I can figure would cause this difference, is the fact that the top clamp doenst have the built in risers for the handlebars.
    It was so much easier that I'm considering swapping my top clamp for the one from a 600, which brings me to my question-

Will the 600 Kat top clamp directly replace the Top Clamp on the 750? Are there any other modifications required?
    The U.S.-
    We might suck at soccer, but at least our babies arent starving.

I swapped a 600 top onto my 95 750..
    You have to use the 600 stem bolt (it's shorter).
    It was a 30 minute swap... I'm not sure but I can't think of any reasons the 98+ would be any different.

Comment

I've been wanting to do this the opposite of you. I want to raise my bars a little bit more. It's very easy. I think all you need is the top portion.
      Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
      -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
      -Terence

Comment

Warning:
        She may have had an easy time at the dealership because their bike was probably still "dry". Adding in oil, fuel, battery will up the weight significantly (to the tune of about 60 - 80 lbs all together, but more importantly, the fuel weight will be high up in the frame).

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
          Warning:
          She may have had an easy time at the dealership because their bike was probably still "dry". Adding in oil, fuel, battery will up the weight significantly (to the tune of about 60 - 80 lbs all together, but more importantly, the fuel weight will be high up in the frame).

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Good point. It had oil, but no battery and only a little gas (they had put some gas in it and a battery to test-start it, then removed the battery).
          I've pushed mine to move it around when it was empty, and I could still tell a difference.
          The U.S.-
          We might suck at soccer, but at least our babies arent starving.

Comment

Working...
          X