X

thinking of upgrading carbs is it worth it

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kat2001
    ok last ?,i'm going to get these mods and try shaving down my weld on the pipes,but what i want to know is if i'm riding w/a gxsr600 and we are @ high speed how far will i be behind the gsxr.
    don't get me wrong i know my kat is not a gsxr and i know my bike ain't never going to be a gsxr just need to know if it will keep up with a sport bike and not be the last bike coming down the rd.
    That's hyper-dependent on a number of factors:
    (A) Is the road absolutely straight and flat. Your bike has fewer disadvantages in turns and over bad pavement.
    (B) What speeds are you starting from and ending up at? If the GSXR is exceeding your bike's top speed, there is no way you can keep up (period), and none of these upgrades will change your top speed significantly.
    (C) How skilled is the GSXR guy compared to you? How much are you willing to vary your course to stay ahead? I often beat GSXR's in our local area point-to-point because I will dodge redlights and select better routes, but it's not because my bike is anywhere close to as fast as theirs.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

A guy I ride with has a 05 gsxr 600 . I led through the curves and hills ,because I have been riding longer as far as flat and wide open I keep up with him just fine ,I dont see a hole lot of differnce other than his being less wieght. I would'nt worry to much about the exhaust welds I think you'll be real happy with just a jet kit from Ivan,and a advancer which mine is on the way.

Comment

ok i pulled my carb out to rebuild/clean/inspect. guess its time to do jet that thang.

i have a k&n it came with the bike. i have never been a fan of the damn things. either its under oiled or its so oiled that it collects crud. they pass larger particles as well. oh well. do you think i should toss 'em or just keep 'em since i already have them and would have to invest money to reclaim the stock airbox?

Comment

Ok... you said "them" and "reclaim the stock airbox". Do you have the small pod filters? If so, you more than likely already have a jet kit on the bike. Otherwise it would run like garbage most likely.

Now, it may or may not be an Ivan's kit, but you definately need to look at some things to see if you already have a jet kit. I know Cyber has a picture somewhere of the different needles compared to an Ivan's. Maybe he'll post it back up again.

If you decide to install an Ivan's anyway, yes it would be worth it in the long run to replace the stock air box and run the factory filter. You might even be able to find one on e-bay for pretty cheap.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
          who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Working...
          X