X

Pilot jets?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilot jets?

I have an 05 600 w/3k miles. it sat unridden for a couple months due to unkind weather, now it won't idle or even run without the choke about 1/2. the local dealer said it was probably the pilot jets gunked up from sitting (about $175 to fix) is there another method such as an additive to clean this without doing major surgery on my carbs?
    "You're going to learn to dicipline your image. You think I got where I am today because I dressed like Peter Pan here? Take a look at what I'm wearing people. You think anyone wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it."

Possibly. First drain all the old gas out of the tank, and the carburetor bowls. Then put about 1/3 to 1/2 bottle of techron fuel treatment and fill it up. Put the petcock on PRIME for about 30 seconds. Then see if she will crank up. You MIGHT get lucky and the techron will break up and clean the jets for you. However, if that doesn't help (it doesn't work instantly either) then you may have to remove the carbs and give them a good cleaning.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Right on Court!

Man, I'll run a LOT of techron thru a bike before I start in on rebuilding carbs............ I run some, then let it sit for a day or so, then run it again, then let it sit, then........repeat it again!!!

Usuall un GUMS things...........saves LOTS of time & labor!!!!
      I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
      Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
      Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Where do I get some? I don't think Waly-world carries it.
        "You're going to learn to dicipline your image. You think I got where I am today because I dressed like Peter Pan here? Take a look at what I'm wearing people. You think anyone wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it."

Comment

there is a kerosene(sp?) based addative thats suppose to break up any kind of gunk buildups in gas lines, but idk the name of it. The way i found out about it has a funny story behind it. It all started when me and a few friends took a p.o.s. 1992 ford tempo and fooled around with it, putting a 2 1/2 inch strait exhaust with a rice can , blacked out lights, electric fans on the intake, full body kits, repaint etc etc. a conplete insult to ricers. it was hilarious. My brother was SUPPOSE to put some gas in it, but he picked up the kerosene tank instead. The thing already ran like garbage after ripping out all the vaccuum hoses, but after that stunt it REALLY ran like shit. After realizing what happened I added about 6gal of gas to water down the 2gal kerosene that was put in. I was gonna just drop the gas tank but that would have been tons of work and everyone said kerosene wouldnt hurt anything. Once it all ran through the car actually ran better. it sounded like it was running on 3 out of 4 cylinders instead of the origional 2 out of 4
          anyways point of this story is that I asked around about it and it turns out kerosene is a good cleaner and it is in fact used in engines to help clean out gunk.
          Fo Sho.

Comment

Never heard of using kerosene to clean the fuel system, but a lot of people do use it to clean their chains prior to relubing.

The techron fuel treatment should be readily available at any car parts store, or you might get lucky and find it at Wally-World or somewhere like that.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
            who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Most of the Chevron stations actually carry the additive in their little additives section. At least here in Vegas they do...

Comment

I guess I'll check chevron next time I'm in town, otherwise maybe a couple ounces of kerosene in the tank will do the trick. I'd rather spend the 175 bucks on other toys than carb work.

Comment

Originally posted by 2K5GSX600F
                  Where do I get some? I don't think Waly-world carries it.
                  Target does. As do virtually every Chevron gas station on the planet and every auto parts store I've been in (PepBoys, Advanced Auto, Western Auto, etc).

Alternative: Seafoam.
                  Woundn't recommend using Kerosene.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                  X