X

Tire Questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Questions

I was hoping a few people on the site could give me some advice on tire sizes. I have a 93 Katana 600 and I am running Battleax's in the following sizes :

Front ~ 110/70-17 (stock size is 110/80-17)
    Rear ~ 150/70-17 (stock size is 140/80-17)

I like the rear as is, but was wondering if I should go to a 120 in the front? Would this affect handling by making it better/worse? I was told that when I originally dropped it to a 70 profile, that it would affect turn-in. I was hoping going to a 120 would compensate for this. Metzeler's website recomends a 110 on the front.

Also, I want to switch to a different tire as I have been running battleax's for years on all my bikes. Metzeler's have been recommended by a few people for my bike. Does anyone have any comments on the difference bewteen Roadtec and Lasertec? Metzeler's site doesn't have much a difference between the two, but they have distinctly different tread patterns. I would like a roadtec in the front and a lasertec in the rear if the profiles are the same.

Thanks in advance for your help and sorry for the novel!!

Since this is your first post, I will help you out before you get bombarded with "Use the Search". It IS quite helpful though.

Here is a link to a LOT of tire information. More than you may care to read.

Four forum sections down from Mechanics 101 is the section your question should actually be. Called "Tire Talk" it is FULL of tire questions and answers.

Oh.. go back up and be sure to post up in the "Introductions" section and tell us all a little about yourself.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

I thought about search about 2 hours after I posted. I figured I'd be a little flamed this morning. Thanks for the thread links, I will check them out.

Comment

No problem man. If you keep doing burn outs like that.... you and the tire man will be CLOSE friends...

By the way... your bike looks EXACTLY like my first Kat I bought brand new in 93. Nice choice!!

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
        who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Re: Tire Questions

Originally posted by Kat-600
          Does anyone have any comments on the difference bewteen Roadtec and Lasertec?
          Yes.

LaserTecs are generally for light weight, low total-HP very flickable bikes (think Ninja 500) with top speeds under 120... They are also Bias-based tires if I recall correctly...

RoadTecs are for heavier sports-touring bikes with more power, higher speeds and their weight limits reflect this fact. They are also radials (far greater safety in case of a blow-out, and better heat-handling characteristics in general).

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
          X