X

clutch problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch problem

I have a 2002 Kat and I laid it down about 1000 miles ago. I dont know if this has anything to do with my prob but I figured it should be said. Ok the problem started about 60 miles ago. I was riding and noticed the clutch lever getting too light and that it was not engaging at the sames place. After this I notice that it getting looser and looser until I was trying to get home that day and ended up with no clutch pull left because I have adjusted it as far as it would go at the lever and never made it home that day. I have a friend who is a service tech at a local shop and changed the cable figuring I did something to it when it was downed. Changed the cable, jetted it, and put on a kn filter and clutch it still the same way. He said he noticed no slipping of the clutch nor did I when we adjusted as far as we could go from the engine side just to test ride it. does anyone have any type of help before I start getting in to some real money out of my pockets. Thanks for any info.
    Adam

Are you sure you adjusted the cable correctly? There is a little screw behind a rubber grommet on the sprocket cover side. It has a screw with a nut on it. You have to loosen that nut and screw. Then you have to adjust the cable to where at the handle and at the cover where it has slack. Next you will take the screw and nut and turn the screw in til you feel "HIGH RESISTANCE" then lock that nut down. After this start adjusting the slack out at the sprocket cover first. This is your coarse adjustment. The one on the handle is your fine adjustment. If this does not fixt it you may have to go inside the clutch cover on the right hand side. I can help you out with all this. I just went thru the same thing back in May-June.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Did you change the oil recently? What did you use? I ask because most modern "car" oils will cause clutch slippage.

I'm inclined to agree that HS2020 has the right answer... Also, if the cable was misrouted (should go down between the #1 & #2 carbs on the airbox side), it could have put extra stress on the rotator mechanism at the clutch end of the cable, and that may need to be replaced.

Good Luck!
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks Mark. I forgot about the routing. Mine was routed wrong and that caused some of my problems as well. The clutch release mechanism is what it is called that the cable attaches to. If that is bent in anyway it will cause problems for you.
        www.mopowersports.com

Comment

I changed the oil when I downed it because I cracked the stater(sp?) cover and all the oil spilled out anyways. I used the suzuki oil they had at the shop. I have the adjustment under the clutch cover all the way adjusted out and locked down and have the adjustmet at the lever about 3/4 of the way out and it keeps loosening to where there will be no clutch tension left. please help...I think I did what you guys are saying already but if not please correct me.

Comment

The clutch lifter could have something to do with it . Not just that bucket the cable end slips into , but if one of the bolts that holds the mechanism in there pops , THAT would do it . Been there , done that .Of course , the cable could be going . Just adjust it properly and look at the points mentioned , and if it does it again , you'll know you got "a problem" .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
              The clutch lifter could have something to do with it . Not just that bucket the cable end slips into , but if one of the bolts that holds the mechanism in there pops , THAT would do it . Been there , done that .Of course , the cable could be going . Just adjust it properly and look at the points mentioned , and if it does it again , you'll know you got "a problem" .
              well the cable had already been replaced about 10 miles ago. Unfortunately not the problem. How far into the clutch do I have to go to see about the lifter or how much would it be and would it help if I just relaced the clutch itself? probably more than I want to go with it. oh well, let me know if there is anything else I need to do or know the next time I look

Comment

Look under the sprocket cover . Not too hard . Hardest part is probably getting the shift lever out of the way if'n ya ain't got circlip pliers .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                X