X

Question about Chain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Chain

The chain on my Kat is about 2 months old. I need new sprockets but do not want to get a new chain since the one I have is so new. The masterlink in the chain is not the clip style. It had a plate that went over the bars and the bars had to be "punched" for the plate to stay on. Is that what you call rivet or something like that??? Ok, here is my question, how would to split the chain. I am new to all this so.... Thanks

(A) If you truly NEED new sprockets, you'll need a new chain. A two month old chain will have worn to match the sprockets that are on there. Thus, if the sprockets are toast, then the chain will be crud as well, and putting new sprockets on a bad chain will just start the cycle again...

(B) If what you're saying is that you plan on changing sprockets for performance reasons, unbolt the rear wheel. Push it forwards and unhook the chain. Don't bother disassembling the chain unless you need to get a new chain for length reasons or wear reasons. If you don't have that option (chain too short to use the unbolt-wheel trick), you cut off the link using a dremel and replace it with a new one.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

funny u post this question. my chain has 8300 miles on it. my front sproket has 2k on it. was thinking about a did x-ring chain and 49 tooth rear sproket. should i also get a front sproket?

Comment

Yes, front sprokets are cheap.

Comment

whice way do you go to get more acceleration out of it go up or down in the rear sprocket???
          wanted a busa but bought a kat like it alot very nice to ride lol

Comment

Originally posted by babybusa
            whice way do you go to get more acceleration out of it go up or down in the rear sprocket???
            Bigger rear, smaller front will net you faster acceleration.
            See Katana Sprocket Ratio Page for percentage changes, notes.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

will do. thanks

Comment

Working...
              X