X

CAM CHAIN

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAM CHAIN

Can i change the cam chain tensioner spring only or do i have to change the whole tensioner assemblly ??????

You can change the spring only if you disassemble the assembly.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Why? What ya' doin? IT really only takes up slack and keeps things in check...........changing the spring really won't do anything.

Besides...........if its installed right, its self adjusting!
      I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
      Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
      Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

i was told that the spring wares out after time and that mite be the source of the chattering noise I`m hearing in my engine allready did a valve adjustment but still hearing things.sounds like a sewing machine,but has lots of power cant figure it out,so i`m just going over things one at a time

Comment

"sewing machine"........... 8)

Typoical sound for a 16 valve overhead cam engine............like............a Katana!!

As long as the clacking noises don't get too distinct or loud, its probably typical. This, of course, assumes you did the valve job correctly!

PS: I've NEVER even herad of those springs wearing out.........BS!
          I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
          Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
          Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

I keep telling people that a good running katana sounds like something is wrong with it....

This is part of why they are killing the model - non-water cooled bikes make more noise and are harder to control mileage, emissions, etc.
            I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Yes I triple checked the valves followed the book ,and write up on m.anchor to the t.The valve adjustment helped,and gave the bike power boost,better throttle response.Just trying to quiet the engine as much as possiable.Its not a knocking sound like a rod in a car, or anything like that just a chattering like a type writer,or sewing machine.

Comment

Easy way to tell if it needs to be replaced (PRE-98: top - new; bottom - needs replacement):

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thanks cyber,but i dont want to tear the bike down just to check it if im gunna pull it apart i mite as well change it. so in your open does a 93 750 with 18k miles need a new cam chain tensioner spring ??

Comment

Originally posted by evil-eye
                    thanks cyber,but i dont want to tear the bike down just to check it if im gunna pull it apart i mite as well change it. so in your open does a 93 750 with 18k miles need a new cam chain tensioner spring ??
                    I can't tell without hearing it. If it sounds like a sewing machine at idle, I'd check it the next time you have the gas tank off just to be sure...
                    The spring is a lot cheaper than cam-chain slop-related damages in the long-run, so following my own set of criteria, yeah I'd replace it just to be on the safe side (I value reliability over most other possible values on a bike, since they are virtually always my primary vehicle).

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                    X