Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part year compatilbilty question

Hello all,
    Newride here.
    So I undertsand that Kantana was very unchanged for many years. 89-97? I am looking for parts on ebay for my 97 katana 600. I am fiding parts for 93 and 95. Mufflers, fenders.etc
    Will parts from earlier years work?
    Also having trouble fiding a good repair manual for 97. Haynes or other. it seesm they go up to 96 or after 98.
    Peace,
    J
    The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.

From Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Yes those years should work and from what I know some of the engine parts off the 98's will work as well. 89-97 600 and 750 parts will fit your bike. The front part of the bodies are the same but from the seat back the subframe is completely different.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Actually the welded on subframe seems to stay the same but the bolt on parts change

Comment

What parts do you need? I've got a 97 600 parts bike that I may be able to help you out a bit. pm me if I can help.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
          Actually the welded on subframe seems to stay the same but the bolt on parts change
          Nope the rear is different. Look at the tail lights. I can not take a 600 seat and out it on my bike. You can not a 750 seat and put it on a 600. The way the rear fairings bolt up are different too. The mounting points are different. Could be the same rear subframe but do not think so.
          www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by HS2020
            Originally posted by Eric
            Nope the rear is different. Look at the tail lights. I can not take a 600 seat and out it on my bike. You can not a 750 seat and put it on a 600. The way the rear fairings bolt up are different too. The mounting points are different. Could be the same rear subframe but do not think so.
            I think Eric was talking about the bolt on subframe being different but the
            main frame being the same. I think the 750 frame and 600 frame are different but it extends past things like seats and tail lights. Those
            items are more related to the bolt on subframe. So I agree with HS2020 but for different reasons not easily seen on compleated bikes..

OK now even I'm confused!

Comment

Thanks all,
              I will just be careful what I buy!
              Peace,
              newride
              The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.

From Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Comment

I was wrong.

HS2020 and Black Peter are correct

Mostly the subframe seems to be the same but there are minor differences that are welded on.

However I feel that the frames are similar enough that you could easily put all the 600 components onto a 750 frame with the appropriate drills and taps, putting 750 components on a 600 frame would need a bit of welding and fabricating to match the stock. However if I were to ruin one of my frames I wouldn't sweat too much what type of early katana the replacement came from, they are very similar. Bolt on parts towards the rear are very different.

(Also I might be having a vocabulary issue, I thought the subframe was any part of the frame not nessecary to link the front and rear wheels and support the engine. But I'm new to motorcycles so if I'm wrong set me straight.)
                Attached Files

Comment

The "subframe" is the structure that extends rearward from the "main frame" (I just made that up) to support the seats. On most, if not all, modern sportbikes, the subframe bolts onto the main frame. If you run a search on ebay for say an r6 or cbr frame, you will see that the frame is just the main beams that surround and support the engine.

Now as to the Kat frames. I have personally put a 750 bike on a 600 frame. The only 2 differences I observed while swapping the parts were that 1. the mounting points on the subframe are welded in different places (they may actually be different mounts, I don't remember I just cut and swapped the tails) and 2. the swingarm pivot bolt is larger diameter on the 750. That is unless a PO modded the swingarm, I never bothered to check.

Comment

In general, the easy way to figure out whether a specific year's specific part will fit your bike as OEM fitment is to pop by RonAyers.com's fiche files, look up the part number for the original part, then pump the part number back into the box on the left side of the page marked "What Bike(s) Will This Part Fit?" -- it'll give you a list of all the bikes that use that part.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                    X