X

Is my clutch going out???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my clutch going out???

When I am in high RPMS, about 9,000 plus. I keep on the throttle and it slowly gains but then it will quickly jump to 12,000 but the bike wont push any harder. I will then let the throttle out and throttle again and the rpms will drop back to 9,000 and pick the bike up. I have been told it is my clutch slipping.

Yup, that's a traditional sign of a slipping clutch, although most people don't notice until it happens at a much lower RPM.

Traditional reasons clutches slip:
    (A) You used an oil which contains a friction modifier, such as API SJ/SL/SM rated motor oils, and the friction modifier coated the clutch;
    (B) Your clutch is worn down to the point that it is getting ready to fail (normal wear);
    (C) Your clutch friction pads are glazed (just like brake glazing) -- too many high RPM launches and too much clutch slipping caused the material on the surface to burn and form a teflon-like surface that doesn't provide sufficient grip.
    (D) Your clutch springs are too weak for the engine's full power (happens sometimes with really old clutch springs, or if the engine has been heavily modified to produce more than stock power);
    or
    (E) Your clutch cable isn't releasing 100% (misadjustment or binding), and that tiny amount of difference is enough to keep it from functioning under the highest loads.

Solutions:
    For (A) - drain all the oil, remove & clean the clutch parts, then reinstall with appropriate oil and pray. If it doesn't work, replace the clutch parts.
    For (B) - Replace the clutch pads.
    For (C) - Sometimes sanding with a fine grit emory cloth will take off the glazing without removing enough material to ruin the clutch. Best solution is to still replace the parts.
    For (D) - Replace the clutch springs with stronger aftermarket units (if the bike is substancially stronger than stock) or at least with new OEM ones (if the output is about what it was).
    For (E) - adjust your cable (if misadjusted) and/or replace it (if binding).

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmm......98 750, eh? Wonder how many miles, and how hard she's been ridden?

I'd opt for the easiest simple route FIRST: Adjust the clutch! The MAJOR adjustment is down below, by the sprocket cover, and the minor adjustment is up at the left bar. You should consult a manual and adjust the major one..............

I've often found the same thing........and a quick adjustment took care of it all!

Of course, if that does not work, go back to CP's list & keep goin'!
      I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
      Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
      Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

It has 25,000 miles and it has been ridden pretty hard. Thanks for the help guys. I am not familiar with clutches. Does a normal clutch kit come with discs and pads. I am looking at EBC's clutch kit and it shows discs and springs.

Comment

Clutch kit contents depend on mfg & part number. Some kits have all you need, others offer only friction plates & no steel ones.......

BTW: I have just listed a few clutch baskets on eBay.........and I have only ONE for the 98+ Kats, and its in perfect condition! WHole basket, EZ to remove & replace. I even have the clutch cover gasket!
          I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
          Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
          Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Working...
          X