oil level

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil level

Hi guys
    a question: is it a problem if I put oil over the high level mark?
    Can I left this over amount of oil or not?
    thanx
    stef from Italy ('00 - gsx600f)

let it cool then loosen the nut with your fingers, drain a little oil, plug again, check level, repeat. I'm sure there is a full line for a reason, just don't know what it is.

Don't use a wrench while you are trying to drain it as you might drop the nut and drain 2 or 3 quarts of your oil. Did that once when I switched to Castrol GPS, boy was THAT an expensive mistake...
    None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
    -Robert Morrison

"
    well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

Originally posted by philwecksr
      let it cool then loosen the nut with your fingers, drain a little oil, plug again, check level, repeat. I'm sure there is a full line for a reason, just don't know what it is.

Don't use a wrench while you are trying to drain it as you might drop the nut and drain 2 or 3 quarts of your oil. Did that once when I switched to Castrol GPS, boy was THAT an expensive mistake...
      That is not a good idea because you really should replace the crush washer after you tightened and untightened the plug. Reusing a crush washer can result in a leak. I know it did with my bike.

If you really overfilled it I would suggest removing some out through the filler hole. I would use a tube a rubber bulb.

Comment

Hmmmm.... *suddenly realizes he's never replaced the crush washer....* Maybe I should get on that...
        None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
        -Robert Morrison

"
        well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

Question: How are you measuring?

The right way to measure is to start the bike, let it run a few minutes, then shut it off and measure 60 seconds later. If the level is at or below the Full mark using that method, it doesn't matter if it climbs higher when the bike has been parked for a while.

To drain just a smaller amount of oil, consider unbolting the oil cooler and draining some out of it. No chance of accidentally draining multiple liters of oil that way

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I've re-used crush washers multiple times out of ignorance , and never had a problem . Yeah , it's not a good idea , but it might not hurt , either .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

thanx...

I have used a syringe to breath in the extra oil (150 ml) over the full line

ciao from Italy

stef

Comment

Working...
              X