X

Steering Stem Bearing question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Stem Bearing question

Hello... I am new to the site and new to the bike world. I purchased a 1998 Katana 750 about 1 1/2 months ago and am LOVING IT!!!

I have a question. My stem has movement in it and I was told it was the bearings. I have found bearing for it, but it said I need to replace the lock washers. Does anyone know where I can get the lock washers for the bike and possibly get all of it at the same place.

bikebandit.com
    ronayers.com
    prosourcemotorsports.com

Comment

Do yourself a favor and go find an ALL BALLS brand steering stem bearing replacing kit. This kit should include the races & needle bearings (which work better than stock ball-bearings) as well as the washers I believe. If not, you can get the washers from any dealer by using the appropriate part number.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Does anyone know the part number for OEM Lock washers. How many are there. Thanks guys.

Comment

Ron Ayers has an online mircofiche system. You can look up all the parts numbers you need then order them.

Comment

.............OR:
            You can PM my partner on here, Braada Jim. I took him lots of nice head bearings to sell, including washers, etc. Everything you need. No junk - I threw those away!

I have a PDF file with a sheet with those parts numbers if you want it - E-mail me.

BTW.....there are NO locking washers up there anywhere...........
            I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
            Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
            Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

There isnt any??? The allballs website said, "Dont forget to replace your steering lock washers" but I noticed that it was for a honda bike. Maybe, they only have them. So all I should need is the bearings??? If that is the case then good.

Comment

Originally posted by Pitfan04
                There isnt any??? The allballs website said, "Dont forget to replace your steering lock washers" but I noticed that it was for a honda bike. Maybe, they only have them. So all I should need is the bearings??? If that is the case then good.
                The Kat uses a washer, but not a lock washer. If you are missing your washer (or it's worn-in, bent), replace it. Otherwise, you're good with just the bearings & races in the All Balls kit.

Example: See item #7 in this 98-03 Kat 600 Fiche for the steering stem

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                X