Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

bar end weights... what are they realy for?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bar end weights... what are they realy for?

the bar end weights thats screw into the bars... what are they realy for?

i got the bike w/ out one on my thorttle side (just how my friend got it from the last owner)

just wondering what they are REALY supposed to do? perhaps the mass helps damppen some of the vibrations?

vibration - Bingo!
    Race Superseries Novice Open, Amateur Superbike #224 Suzuki GSXR-1000

Comment

Yup... vibrations... Alot of people even add more weight via Leadshot/BB's for vibrations, like me I can't imagine what it's like on the throttle side with nothing!!

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

My Kat came to me missing the throttle bar end, in swapped the other over pronto. Got another one and put it on. Funny thing, tho- was not a big difference.
        "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Full explaination of bar-end weights, vibration, Renauds Syndrom, and how they interact here:

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

yeah my bike was missing the throttle side barend as well. so is their really i noticable differnce when its right? i'am sure that having just one side its helping either..just wondering.

Comment

Actualy I was told by the Man. that tey were called "bar sliders" and that they are for keeping the body from screwing up in the event of a lay down. they also sell these same things for the body to protect the farings they are called "frame sliders"

my 2 cents
              Its better to experience the bitter taste of defeat, or the sweet rush of victory, than not to experience either, and stay wondering WHAT IF?

Comment

Originally posted by jj1rox
                Actualy I was told by the Man. that tey were called "bar sliders" and that they are for keeping the body from screwing up in the event of a lay down.
                The "Man" lied to you. Although they may have that affect as well, it's not their primary purpose (if it was, they could just make the bar tubes longer).

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                  Originally posted by jj1rox
                  Actualy I was told by the Man. that tey were called "bar sliders" and that they are for keeping the body from screwing up in the event of a lay down.
                  The "Man" lied to you.
                  The Man always lies...
                  Thats how he keeps us down!

Comment

i agree sliders would be more ideal in some form of nylon plastic... a copmany spends $$$ where it has to... heavy mass bar ends i'm sure would cost more then nylon bar ends... then again the bar ends i'm sure are cheaper then using thicker bars outright.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimmy
                      vibration - Bingo!
                      +1

Comment

OK finaly actualy got the bike taged and all that so i can REALY ride... put about 100 miles on her in the 1st 24 hrs of tagging her (80 to and from work)

i noticed that i REALY need a bar end on the throttle side... just goign to require some carful work w/ an ez out... my guess is the screw broke when the bike fell (prior owner... missing mirror and cracked fairing all thanks to a huricane wind gust)

so about filling the bars w/ lead shot or whatever? any specifics on that... i'm parking my car in a week or so and this will be my only transportation to and from work so i'll need to get the hand vibration thing nixed

thanks again
                        mark

Comment

Originally posted by donalson
                          i noticed that i REALY need a bar end on the throttle side... just goign to require some carful work w/ an ez out... my guess is the screw broke when the bike fell (prior owner... missing mirror and cracked fairing all thanks to a huricane wind gust)
                          Make sure you check the hollow handlebar tube for straightness as well -- normally a spill hard enough to damage the bolt for the bar-end weight would also be hard enough to bend the tube -- and a bent tube will induce serious vibes because the two extremes of the handlebars are not balanced at that point.

so about filling the bars w/ lead shot or whatever? any specifics on that...
                          Search. It's been covered a ton of times, from using lead to silicone caulk with BB's to using a barsnake (commercial product).

On a related note, I met with the manufacturer's rep from Hunter Flatbars yesterday (ok, the engineer's GF -- same thing in such a small outfit), and I should have a set to test sometime soon. We discussed what engineering I'd need to satisfy my clientel (hey, that's you guys, right?), and I brought up the fact that foam grips, between UV exposure and rain, don't last for squat in Florida (or the SE USA in general) and we would like to see them with a silicone-rubber grip assembly. I'm "iffy" on how well they will work at killing vibes due to their construction (quite light weight solid aluminum with a damper system at the bar-riser mounting end instead of at the other end), but I'll report back once I've actually used them for a while.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

funny that you mention the bent bar thing... i read this then went out to go back to work and noticed it's bent... time to start searching for a new used one... that hopefuly should cut down a lot on vibes

Comment

funny that you mention the bent bar thing... i read this then went out to go back to work and noticed it's bent... time to start searching for a new used one... that hopefuly should cut down a lot on vibes
                              New ones are something like $16 from the dealer (well, 3 years ago, last time I checked) -- how much will you save after postage on a new-used one?

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X