X

I need some help.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some help.

The other day, i rode my 1996 600 katana, and when i got back , the front fender/fairing that guards the tire had melted. It was pretty bad. The heat was coming off of the headers for the exhaust right below the oil cooler, as the exhaust headers come out of the engine. They are over heating for some reason and i can't figure out why. I changed the oil/filter and the air filter and still it over heats. Please help!! ASAP. Thanks
    Suzuki Katana GSX600F

REPOSTED FROM THE OTHER THREAD YOU HAVE WITH THE SAME TOPIC:

If it melted the front wheel fender, then either the engine's fueling is running WAY WAY too lean (and it is surprising that it'd run at all; I'd expect a ton of after-fires booming out of the exhaust at minimum if it was this lean) -- all of which is directly attributable to clogged carb passages and/or bad jetting for your set-up...
    OR
    There is a minor leak under pressure of hot oil coming off the oil cooler, oil cooler hoses or connections, which is spraying onto the front fender. Seen that one melt a wheel fender before, although I've never seen headers do it...

Good Luck!
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

listen to cyberpoet,he know his stuff!!!!

Comment

Thanks, the problem turned out to be cloggeg carbs. They were really dirty. My bike should be running like new now.
        Suzuki Katana GSX600F

Comment

Originally posted by drumbum3218
          Thanks, the problem turned out to be cloggeg carbs. They were really dirty. My bike should be running like new now.
          Well, that's a new one on me... carbs clogged enough to run sufficiently lean to melt/warp the front fender, but still letting the engine run... hmmm...

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Whats thats supposed to mean? i am confused.
            Suzuki Katana GSX600F

Comment

Originally posted by drumbum3218
              Whats thats supposed to mean? i am confused.
              In other words, I've personally never seen it happen before where the carbs were clogged just enough to build up sufficient heat to melt the fender BUT still feed enough to keep the engine running.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I've got the same thing on my bike. It's a 1995 600. Pretty much stock except for a set of F1 pipes. Lean was my thought too but I rode it 70 miles home with no problems. The place I bought it from did run cleaner in the tank.

Would that cause it to run lean enough to generate that much heat? I want to figure it out before I replace the fender.

I can't see this as being a common problem. I did check to make sure there were no oil leaks onto the fender.

Any other things I may have over looked? I'm not real familar with sport bikes as I tend to ride vintage air cooled stuff, I bought this for my wife.

Comment

Working...
                X