X

Need some major help on fixes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some major help on fixes

I searched and searched through lots of the forum, and I actually did learn a lot! Theres a few things im going to try but i need some major help.
    Im a newbie so im not too sure at what exactly is going on.

First off my clutch. Of course, I do have that problem that seems to dwell with so many other peeps where the bike still wants to roll a little when when disengaging the clutch. but thats not my main concern here as so many people had already posted that.
    But it seems that my clutch is getting harder and harder to pull in. I didnt really think much of it, as I ride my bike every day and i had just gotten used to it, but when I let a buddy ride it he complained at how terribly horrible it was to squeeze, and I then realized it was. Need some help debunking this. What is causing it and how can i fix it?

Next up is the forks! I have a leak in the front fork cylendor (the right one). the hydrolic fluid is comin out, not fast or really bad but if u look at it you can tell it has a leak. Its been like this for a while, because i really dont have a lot of money to replace the whole thing. So I was hoping for a little advice on what I need to fix it. If someone could please tell me how this effects my bike as well it would be nice. like, could it be damageing other parts on my bike? Is it life threatening? Should i take care of it ASAP?

Lastly the chain and sprockets. I found a lot of great info in the posts so i dont have much to ask about it. My chain keeps loosening. I know its a bad chain, and i need to replace it, along with the sprockets and cush as well. so no real question here, but if anyone has some spare parts u need to sell or get rid off or whatever, please hit me up! I dont have enough funding to go out and buy all kinds of new stuff for it, but I want to get this bike running the way it should, as it is my only commute at the moment.

Thanks for any advice. And, if anyone is selling or has extra chain / sprockets/ fork stuff / i will buy! even tools!

Its an old bike, 1990, and it has a whopping 58 thousand miles on it! its my first bike too, i just want it to be reliable and fun. Of course once i get the money for brand new stuff im all over it, but it might be too long of a time before this stuff causes a serious problem.

again all help is appreciated.
    ~chris

Re: Need some major help on fixes

Originally posted by chrisman826
    But it seems that my clutch is getting harder and harder to pull in. I didnt really think much of it, as I ride my bike every day and i had just gotten used to it, but when I let a buddy ride it he complained at how terribly horrible it was to squeeze, and I then realized it was. Need some help debunking this. What is causing it and how can i fix it?
    Depending on the cause:
    New clutch cable (if the cable is binding in the sheath, $25)
    Clean & Oil the clutch pivot mechanism (where the motion of the cable goes into the casings)
    Replace the clutch plates (if they are too thin, worn)
    Replace the clutch springs with OEM ones

Next up is the forks! I have a leak in the front fork cylendor (the right one). the hydrolic fluid is comin out, not fast or really bad but if u look at it you can tell it has a leak.
    Yes, take care of it ASAP. If the fork isn't pitted nor bent/damaged, all you'll probably need is new oil seals ($25 pair), new dust seals ($20 pair), and a liter of fresh fork oil ($5 - $8). The rest is all labor. This is standard maintenance anyway and should be done every other year (most riders push it far too long).

Lastly the chain and sprockets. I found a lot of great info in the posts so i dont have much to ask about it. My chain keeps loosening. I know its a bad chain, and i need to replace it, along with the sprockets and cush as well. so no real question here, but if anyone has some spare parts u need to sell or get rid off or whatever, please hit me up! I dont have enough funding to go out and buy all kinds of new stuff for it, but I want to get this bike running the way it should, as it is my only commute at the moment.
    New RK+Vortex combo kit (both sprockets + chain), 20k mile warrantee, see BikeBandit -- I got the kit for $116 + S&H, but I think they took them off sale. Even cheaper in a pinch is JC Whitney (about $75 for both sprockets + chain), but quality is questionable in my mind.

Tools:
    A Dremel or grinder (or even bastard file) will cut off an existing chain -- you just need to cut off or grind off the mushroomed ends of two pins that form a single link, then knock 'em out using a punch or whatever other method works for you (sometimes you get lucky and can just pull them out with vicegrips after removing the mushroom tips)
    To assemble a new chain that uses the same kind of closure system, you can cheat and use a C-clamp and the raised edge of a nickle to mushroom the link tips up. If you have access to a welder, welding a BB or BB-sized tip on the inside of a pair of vicegrips will do the same thing. In a pinch, you can even use something heavy firmly seated on one side and a punch & hammer on the other.
    You can also use a master-link system, which snaps a clip over the link. It results in a link that's not as strong (and far more prone to coming off), but it's easiest to install. If you go that route, carry at least one spare master link under the seat.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Re: Need some major help on fixes

Wow! Thanx so much for all the info. That was exactly the kind of stuff i wanted to know. Very much appreciated!
      ~chris

Comment

if you need a set of antifriction metals for the front forks, i have some comign new from ronayers, that you can have at what it costs and i'll pay shipping.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

SWEET. so I got a new chain (the rk/vortex combo) it works great. After installing it, the bike seems to ride like new!. gears shift easier, it drives smoother, and just plain feels better and cooler again. And! while i was changing the chain, i cleaned a few parts around the shifter and lubed up the clutch handle, and sprayed some loob into the cable, after a ride around the block it felt just like new too! So now all i need is the forks.
          ~chris

Comment

i got you covered, it be shipped out this afternoon priority, with some extras and tips. awesome, what and where did you get your chain setup, i just found my chain is at the last of the adjustment.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Working...
            X