Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

OK, so what's the skinny on chain auto-oilers?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, so what's the skinny on chain auto-oilers?

Didn't find much in the archives. Anyone have good recommendations, vendors, install tips, etc? I'm making my list of mods here and I'm considering adding one of these to it.

Plus that way I wouldn't have to constantly carry around a can of chain lube with me. I get the "hey, is that a big ol' can of chain lube in your pants or are you happy to see me?" thing a lot. It's gettin' old.

TIA.
    ---Jeff (Long Beach Represent!)

'99 Katana 750 (Metallic Space Blue / Matte Silky Gray Metallic)
    Plus some cars.

"Never Break More than You Fix..."

i think cyber still has one for sale

Comment

I have a lubetronic, new-in-box with the optional remote, for sale.

Brands on the market that I know of (aside from some astronomically priced German & Swiss ones) are all listed in my Understand Motorcycle Chain Wear and Maintenance webpage.

ScottOiler
      Chainoilers look after your chain so you don't have to: No more manual chain maintenance = A cleaner chain, save money, keeps you safe.

Vacuum-driven (engine vacuum lifts a needle to permit oil flow). Personally, I don't like them for a combination of reasons, including having to tap into the vacuum system of a bike (one more thing to go wrong with how your engine runs). Needs oil of a specific viscosity to work right.

Hawke Oiler

Basically a pump with a manual feed button -- you press the button, it puts oil on the chain. Pump is good & can use standard motor oils (it's not very viscosity sensitive), but the rest ignores the fact that it should handle everything automatically with such a set-up... originally, he had a controller system, but I guess he eliminated it from the offering for reasons unknown???
      I have a spare one of these pumps ($55) if someone wants to build their own system -- cheaper solution.

Lubetronic

A pump system that will run on it's own at a reasonable rate. With the optional dial-controller, you have full control over the oiling rate (turn up for rain storms). Can use most oils, comes with it's own 1/2 liter bottle that should last about 30k - 40k miles.
      This is what I'm selling (bought it for myself, decided to go a different direction instead).

Lubeman Oiler
      LoobMan Motorcycle Chain Oiler - manual chain lubrication system suitable for chain-driven motorcycles of all types and sizes including O-Ring and X-Ring

Basically a squeeze bottle with tubing going to the chain -- you squeeze, it splooges a bit of oil onto the chain. Bottles gets mounted somewhere where you can get to it while riding. A favorite of motorcycle couriers everywhere because it costs about $15 - $30.

Pro-Oiler

The most expensive of all the options listed, it uses a logic array and controls to control the feed volume and alters the feed volume based on table look-ups for speed/distance. Requires either a bike with electronic speedo signal from the bike (such as a 98+ Kat), or modifying the rear brake rotor to install a hall sensor (to give it the same info) -- otherwise you're just wasting your $$ and you'd be better served with a different solution. Uses the same pump as the Hawke Oiler, but with a good bit of logic circuitry behind it.
      If you want these, please contact me via PM's -- about 10% cheaper than ordering it directly from the manufacturer.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

CP, what was the different direction you decided to go in anyway?
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I moved to the Pro-Oiler instead. I haven't installed it yet, and it appears I'll need to fab up (or have Neoublie fab up) a custom bracket to hold the controller for me -- squiggy has a Pro-Oiler on his, complete with a bracket-solution that I like and I'm probably going to copy that concept.

I like the lubetronic (& their super-simple remote), and would go with it except that I gave up too much of my under-rear-fairing space (between the frame and the fairing) to other things (including the remote for the Ohlins rear shock, the mini bicycle pump, etc), so I ran out of space that I was willing to use.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

[quote="The CyberPoet"]I have a lubetronic, new-in-box with the optional remote, for sale.

Lubetronic... Ha Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
              squiggy has a Pro-Oiler on his, complete with a bracket-solution that I like and I'm probably going to copy that concept.
              Well, it's actually the Hawke Oiler. You prolly just mis-typed.

I like it. Fairly easy to install, if your mechanically inclined. Actually more like electrically inclined.

If your interested, here's some pics that I took when I did my install. Ignore the "exit tubing" pics. That was the original placement of the tubing that did not work out at all.

I installed it in anticipation of taking my trips on the bike. And guess where have I been? That's right, nowhere.
              How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
              How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
              How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
              How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Awesome write-up. Thanks for that - it's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. And to CP - yes I might be interested in the setup you're selling. I'll shoot you a PM to discuss. Thanks.

Geez, here comes the mod bug with the bike now. . . I can see the money just spontaneously combusting in my hand. As if cars weren't bad enough. . .
                ---Jeff (Long Beach Represent!)

'99 Katana 750 (Metallic Space Blue / Matte Silky Gray Metallic)
                Plus some cars.

"Never Break More than You Fix..."

Comment

whats the lubetronic go for?

Comment

Originally posted by suzukisportrider2004
                    whats the lubetronic go for?
                    $186 with the optional controller, $145 without.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

seems like alot of effort and money to lube the chain. ill stick with a spray can every now and then instead.
                      03 katanika

Comment

Originally posted by iwannadie
                        seems like alot of effort and money to lube the chain. ill stick with a spray can every now and then instead.
                        If you figure it doubles (or more) the life expectancy of the chain and sprockets, plus eliminates 90% of the maint, it makes sense to me... But, hey, I'll be putting probably 3.5k miles on the bike in a matter of a week and a half starting next weekend, if last year was any indication

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                          Originally posted by iwannadie
                          If you figure it doubles (or more) the life expectancy of the chain and sprockets, plus eliminates 90% of the maint, it makes sense to me... But, hey, I'll be putting probably 3.5k miles on the bike in a matter of a week and a half starting next weekend, if last year was any indication

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          ya for me i dont put that many miles ha, for touring ya it makes total sense. for me going and smashing around for an hour or two at a time i dont think id make full use of it....
                          03 katanika

Comment

I use the loobman (www.loobman.com), easy to use although might make a minor oil mess on your parking if you choose a long hose like me (squeeze bottle at the handlebars). It's working great and it's dirt cheap.
                            - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Pro-Oiler install & review notes:

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X