X

Throttle Cable Adjustment - Carb Side

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle Cable Adjustment - Carb Side

I'm a n00b and I'm having fits getting my throttle cables adjusted properly. (I thoroughly screwed the adjustment up doing the valves ... runs good though) I've got the shop manual and it pretty clearly explains how to adjust the cables from from the throttle side, but doesn't mention anything about the carb side. (Couldn't find it searchin... if it was there all along sry) I tried a bunch of nearly random adjustments and the best I managed was a pretty tight feel and incidental cruise-control. At least the throttle fully opens and closes the carbs though

If anyone could shed some light on how to adjust the cables at their connection to the carbs, or at least how to find a decent starting point for adjusting, I'd really appreciate it.

Why is it always the (seemingly) simple things that bite you in the butt?

Thanks in advance!
    - Beave

1998 Katana 600 - Traded
    2005 F4i -

DO THIS:

Set the adjusters at the handlebars to zero (screw them in all the way).
    Set the adjusters at the carbs so that the cable to the carbs is fairly straight from where it exits the sheath. Adjust the carb end using the snap method I talk about in the above thread. Then repeat at the other end.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I am not sure of details, but I think the best thing to start with is loosening each adjuster one at a time with the bike off until You have found the cable thats overtightened. I would start with the the adjusters at the Thorttle and then at the carbs. As You loosen twiste the throttle and then let go to see if it snaps back. My guess would be You are overtightened at the adjusters by the throttle.
      2006 GSX600F

Comment

I give more details and a better write up of how to do it here:

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

One other thought I just had... if the throttle feels "tight," doesn't snap back when released and the RPMs don't change when you turn the bars from lock to lock, would this mean I've got a frayed/kinked cable that's catching on the sheath? (I've got it running right down the centerline of the tank already, shouldn't be pinched)

If that's the case, what's a good price on new cables? (RonAyers has them for $17 a piece or so)
          - Beave

1998 Katana 600 - Traded
          2005 F4i -

Comment

Figure $20 - $23 at your local dealer, or $17 from RonAyers.
            To test a cable for fraying, disconnect both ends and tug & push on the cable -- it should move freely with no effort -- if it doesn't, replace it.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
            X