X

Heavy riders input needed!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy riders input needed!!!

I'm 6'3" 250 lbs. and I have a '98 Kat 600. I was hoping to get suspension settings from riders around my weight range. There are many damping and pre-load variables and I just wanna know what works for riders my size

Thanks!
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting," Holy sh*t!!! What a ride!!!"

Check with Sweet Lou...he's big guy and has it set...PM him..
    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

i'm 6'0'' , @ about 230lbs, and am still play'n with it. i thought that for my size id like to soften it. but then my tire was rubbing my undertail. so i hardened it.im not near the bike or id go n check for sure. but i think the rear shock setting is 1 thru 4, 4 being the hardest. mine is set to 3.
      and when i hit the brake the front end dived a bit much for me.so i set the forks to 2 i think. the hardest being 1. like i said im not by my bike or id check.
      but if u get some good input from lou or anybody , let me know...
      << RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT !! >>
      KRAZYKAT'S KATANA PICTURES

Comment

Honestly, telling you what is comfortable for them isn't going to help you. You really need to make adjustments after each time you ride until you find settings that are comfortable for you.

But...I'm heavier than you and I'm bottoming my front springs right now on speed bumps. So my input may not be worth much right now...
        Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
        -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
        -Terence

Comment

not hard really, just have a flat head with you to do the front shocks . ride and brake hard then adjust. you cant mess it up, has detents for each position. play with it and get what feels right for you. everyone is different

Comment

Try all you like, you'll never get your Kat set up properly without changing to heavier springs. You might improve things a bit, but Kats are undersprung even for most "normal" riders. Most motorcycles are undersprung for the typical hot-dog eating American.

There are many suspension companies out there than can help. Racetech, Traxxion, Lindemann Engineering, Sonic Springs, etc.
            I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingspan
              Try all you like, you'll never get your Kat set up properly without changing to heavier springs. You might improve things a bit, but Kats are undersprung even for most "normal" riders. Most motorcycles are undersprung for they typical hot-dog eating American.

There are many suspension companies out there than can help. Racetech, Traxxion, Lindemann Engineering, Sonic Springs, etc.
              CP has some Ohlin springs that would probably help as well.
              Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
              -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
              -Terence

Comment

Re: Heavy riders input needed!!!

Originally posted by trojanftbl52
                I'm 6'3" 250 lbs. and I have a '98 Kat 600. I was hoping to get suspension settings from riders around my weight range. There are many damping and pre-load variables and I just wanna know what works for riders my size
                Suggest you read:
                KR - Rolling Stock - Sticky: Suspension Set-up Explained

What else to know:

(A) Fork oil breaks down over time, resulting in poor performance. If the oil & seals haven't been changed in the last two years, do it or have it done. 10 weight is standard -- for your size, a 12.5 weight would be good if you're not changing springs (or go to a stiffer fork spring, such as the Ohlins I sell, and stick to the 10 weight).

(B) Rear shocks also contain oil which breaks down over time, and unfortunately, the 98+ Kat shocks are not traditionally rebuildable. They are also somewhat under-sprung. A seven year old shock has probably seen better days, esp. if the last rider was also heavy-set (or frequently rode two-up), and/or if the bike has a lot of miles. The way to determine if the rear shock is "blown" or the oil is crud is to compress the rear physically, then release and see how often it springs back and forth -- in healthy shape it should rise into position and stop; if it rises past it's static position a little and returns, that's ok. If it goes release-up-down-up or more cycles, it's definitely time to replace it.
                When buying replacements, you have two basic choices: aftermarket high-end shocks (rebuildable, lots more settings than the stock shock, can be customized at time of build to your bike & your weight), or an used shock off a similar bike (eBay). If buying used, look for a shock off a bike that is as heavy as yours or heavier (i.e. - not a GSXR shock, but a BUSA or bandit shock) from a model that's only a couple years old and being parted out. Make sure the shock will fit your bike -- here's a thread of what bike shocks (used) should fit yours

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                X