X

160 hp?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 160 hp?

The guy who is rebuilding my 94 750 Katana says he will get me 160 hp on a streetable engine. We are going with a 3mm overbore, he will mill the heads to bring compression into the high 11's, jet kit, valve job, bearings, and maybe a V&H exhaust. He is also rebuilding the front forks, doing the brakes, carbs, all for about 2K.

I know some guys have gotten great deals on used bikes, but I've looked, and for 2K I cannot get anything that will be like my Kat when it is done.

I believe the guy, he builds winning race bikes for guys from Colorado to Portland, and has yet to have a cylinder grenade.

But what the heck am I going to do with that much power? I can guarantee I will be signing up for an ART class, I know enough to know this bike will be way above my skill level, so I better get training.

I don't buy it . Sorry . A high-comp 771 kit with an exhaust and jetting will only get you between 100-110 from what I've read . The 813 kit (isn't that the 3mm overbore ?) I can't see pumping out much more than that , but it's lower compression . Dunno , I just don't buy it .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I know, it seems like a lot. I was thinking I would be in the 120's.

BUT, this guy consistantly gets 15% more HP out of brand new GSXR's, while still leaving them stock enough to pass challenges at races.

The 1mm wiseco kit is 13:1, the 3mm (is it 813 or 831?) kit is 12:1.

I would be happy with 120, estatic with 130, and road kill with 160!! That is what the GSXR 1000 gets. I'd better start doing wrist curls, and not with beer cans!!

Comment

nope your not gonna ge 160 of of a 750 base motor not without nitrous ive tried i got 105hp with a 771 at 13:1

Comment

160 hp out of a 0.75L engine? A normally-aspirated 0.75L engine? Don't think so.

Yes, it's possible. Yes it COULD be done, but it would probably end up costing you tens of thousands of dollars. Even so, such an engine would have to run such high c/rs and have such extensive internal lightening that it wouldn't last very long. Not to mention that the tuning would have to be PERFECT or it would be a grenade. Reduced-thickness cylinder walls and extremely high compression ratios under any sort of detonation is a recipe for disaster.

If you REALLY feel the need to make 160 hp, get a 1.3L 'busa engine and turbocharge it. You'll make 160 hp easy. And reliably.

If I were you I'd pick up my engine from this guy and tell him to have a nice life. I wouldn't want anyone suffering from such delusional fantasies like that touching my parts.
          ---Jeff (Long Beach Represent!)

'99 Katana 750 (Metallic Space Blue / Matte Silky Gray Metallic)
          Plus some cars.

"Never Break More than You Fix..."

Comment

Are you sure he didn't say 106??
            160 on a 750 is 213 Hp/liter.
            That's twice that of a Ferrari Enzo..

Comment

i am with everyone else.you will NEVER get 160hp.i am sure you will have a bad ass bike though!!!let us know how it turns out.

Comment

what is the factory power rating,I have a 95 750 kat.I would like to know how pump it a little. mabbe cam exhaust kit and stage three jet kit. Im not really sure where to find the parts
                luv my 95 katana

Comment

nope...not gonna happen. 120-125hp max

Comment

Color me skeptical. (VERY)
                    I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

Originally posted by POP944
                      If you REALLY feel the need to make 160 hp, get a 1.3L 'busa engine and turbocharge it. You'll make 160 hp easy. And reliably.
                      WTF? busa with turbo 160hp?? bwahahha! they have that in standard n/a form.

my 750 on 8 psi made 139rwhp (150?? at the engine??) im currently re-doing the turbo set up with 10 or 12 psi and an intercooler, re-ground cams, and a major re-jett. im AIMING for 175ish hp.

if a stock busa running 8 psi to it, it would roughly put out 240hp!

as for 160 for a N/A 750cc oil cooled engine... its NEVER going to happen,

for an example, the busa.. revs to 12k rpm. with 1300cc to make that 160hp.

a 750cc will have the rev to a strastrophic level in order to acheive that power

this isnt about torque, but HP (basicly torque X time (rpm) )

its just never gonna happen, if it did.. it would prolly make it on its 1st power run.. right when she BLOWS!!

granted porting and polishing of the head, would net gains, but really the factory motorcycle heads are already so good, theres little to gain on.

regrinding cams goes hand and hand with new airflow available in the intake/exhaust, and if you cant improve massively on the standard head, well... you wont get much more from cams... unless you raise the rev limit

you may net an extra 25hp from head/exhaust, but any more grunt is going to need a capacity increase!

bah!! rouge engine builders give me the sh!ts!!

cheers.joe.

Comment

Re: 160 hp?

Originally posted by martinkh
                        The guy who is rebuilding my 94 750 Katana says he will get me 160 hp on a streetable engine. We are going with a 3mm overbore, he will mill the heads to bring compression into the high 11's, jet kit, valve job, bearings, and maybe a V&H exhaust. He is also rebuilding the front forks, doing the brakes, carbs, all for about 2K.

I know some guys have gotten great deals on used bikes, but I've looked, and for 2K I cannot get anything that will be like my Kat when it is done.

I believe the guy, he builds winning race bikes for guys from Colorado to Portland, and has yet to have a cylinder grenade.

But what the heck am I going to do with that much power? I can guarantee I will be signing up for an ART class, I know enough to know
                        this bike will be way above my skill level, so I better get training.
                        I'm in agreement with the majority of responses.. your 750cc engine will not generate 160 bhp...

If you're looking for that Hayabusa (or liter bike) performance, you're better off trading up..
                        2005 Hayabusa (Silver and Black)
                        2004 Suzuki Marauder 1600

Comment

He isn't messing with the cams, said they look good.

I agree, the number seems too high. He is a very reputable builder though, so I will le thim do his magic. I will not be dissapointed if I end up with 120hp at the engine.

Comment

I wouldn't expect 160
                            but as long as you're ok with 120 (I would be)
                            who cares? if it's reliable and quicker, he's done his job
                            have fun with your new weapon
                            Live and Lean.
                            When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
                            "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
                            Romans 3:23

Comment

My guess:

If he is reliable, then he knows you won't know the difference in the seat of your pants between 100 and 160

Enjoy whatever he does do.

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X