X

Oil Light On and Off

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Light On and Off

I just rebuilt my 1989 GSX600 Katana motor. It would smoke whiteish/blue smoke now that it is broken in it no longer smokes BUT.......The oil light is on when its below 4800 RPM's. Can someone help me figure out why. The oil leval is good. Please help!

sounds like it might be time to check the oil pump.

Long Live the D

Comment

were is the oil pump located?

Comment

I'd check the oil pressure sender and the oil pump, plus the pressure relief valve.

The sender is under the right hand engine cover (the same one with the timing signal generator).

The oil pump itself is accessible from the bottom of the engine once you ge the oil pan off (which requires removing the exhaust headers first).

Either way, I would very highly suggest you don't ride it until you get it resolved -- that light is an "idiot light" and by the time it lights up, it tells you that something has gone so wrong that you'd be an idiot to continue driving without resolving the issue.

Good luck!
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I just rebuilt the motor and it didn't do it before. It only comes on below 4500 rpms. What would be the best item to replace first that would most likely fix the problem? Thanks so much for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by doubledscar
            I just rebuilt the motor and it didn't do it before. It only comes on below 4500 rpms. What would be the best item to replace first that would most likely fix the problem? Thanks so much for the help.

First off, YOU rebuilt the motor and DIDN'T put on a NEW oil PUMP???

Second, YOU REBUILT THE MOTOR AND DIDN'T PUT ON A NEW OIL PUMP???

Third, do an external oil pressure test, then:
            A. if the light comes on and the gauge DOESN"T drop then replace the sender,
            B. if the light comes on and the gauge drops below normal, replace the oil pump, replaced the oil and do the test again,
            C. if the light comes on and the gauge is higher than normal then you have a plugged oil hole somewhere in your rebuild, get ready to start your rebuild over to find out where.
            YES, too high is bad, it will blow seals, rings, pumps, valves, to start with.

Fourth, HE rebuilt a motor and DIDN't change the oil pump

Someone tell me it will be OK, Please lie to me.
            An Ole man once said:"It is better to be thought a fool because of silence, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt"

Comment

I just rebuilt the motor
              were is the oil pump located?
              Why does it seem to me that the two above statements are somehow conflicting?

Either way, I'd replace the pump to start -- if the engine had enough problems to warrant a rebuild, it is worthy of a new pump.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Oh man you didn't change the oil pump?...j/k wanted to be like Trigger

Comment

Does anyone know the suzuki part numbers for the pressure sender and the oil relief valve? I wanna do those before the oil pump because the oil pump requires spliting the case.

Comment

From RonAyers: 89 Kat 600 Fiche File, Oil Pan

Oil Pressure Regulator Valve, item #20, Suzuki part number 16440-27A01

For your reference:
                    89 Kat 600 (GSX600FK)

You can go searching for the pressure sensor yourself

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

ah man come on. I found that one on bikebandit.com too. I cant find the other one tho. help me out.

Comment

Working...
                      X