Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Trans pops out of second gear, fix or replace?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans pops out of second gear, fix or replace?

'91 Kat 600, 30k miles. It will go into second, but immediately pops out under any throttle. It will stay in gear if I hold up on the shifter. All other gears seem to work ok. I'm trying to figure out if I should fix the trans or just replace the whole engine/trans with another one. I'm a professional mechanic so labor is not an issue, but I need an estimate of which parts will be needed so I can price them.

A bad Ebay deal got me into this mess. I just finished fixing the engine, if I'd known the trans was bad too, I would have swapped out the whole thing.

Figure a high estimate of $200 - $300 in parts. 16 to 45 hours in labor.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Sounds like a bad shift fork. had the same problem with another bike i had. You could be daring and fix it yourself, but that involves cracking the case and digging in there pretty deep.
      I'd say, if you can find another 600/750 motor with lower miles, for a few hundred bucks, do the swap yourself, and save yourself some money. then you don't have to get too dirty
      Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken.

Comment

I decided to go ahead and tear it down tonight and see what it needs. What a job it is to split the case!! There are little bolts hidden everywhere. The #3 shift fork is bad as well as the 2nd and 6th driven gears. Looks like about $200 including some new seals. I also found one of the clutch plates broken and the hub worn out. Since I've already got some money tied up in the top end of the engine, I think I'll fix it.

Comment

Working...
        X