Removing Shifter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Shifter

Hi All,

I'm looking to remove the gear shifter from my Kat so I can change the front sprocket. Unfortunately, I can't find Trinc's writeup as the website is missing. Can anyone provide assistance? Also, if you know any tips about changing the front sprocket please feel free to chime in with your advice.

Thanks in advance.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Re: Removing Shifter

All of Trinc's stuff was ported to my site before it disappeared for good. You can find all his write ups here:

CyberPoet's MotorcycleAnchor.com Katana GSXF How to Pages -- his stuff is towards the bottom.

The direct link to the page you want:
    motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks, this helps. I still don't know what tool I need to remove the shifter. It doesn't appear to have a bolt but a specialized U-shaped washer and twin holes that is capped.
      "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

If it looks the one in Trinc's pic, you need a pair of snap-ring pliers. Any auto parts store, NAPA, Sears, Harbor Freight, SnapOn. Just be careful that you get a pair designed to hold the c-spring open (external snap-ring pliers) rather than closed (or ones that have both options).

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks! I'll get one on the way back from home. Once I open up the snap spring, do I extract the bolt or is there a step I'm missing? Do I need any special tools for the process as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Kat-A-Tonic
            Thanks! I'll get one on the way back from home. Once I open up the snap spring, do I extract the bolt or is there a step I'm missing? Do I need any special tools for the process as well?
            Once you remove the snap ring from the one on the right in the pic, and remove the bolt from one on the left in the picture, you should be able to slide them both away from the bike (although safety dictates you should disconnect the rod between them, you may be able to get it off with the two still interconnected). Watch out for washers around the actual foot control (under the snap ring and/or behind the shifter lever), so they don't go astray.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

just leave the two together. mark the actuator as i did then take the bolt all the way out. for the foot gear shifter. remove the c clip & washer - the shifter will then slide off the shaft ( clean & put a little grease on the shaft before re-installing )

tim

Comment

Thanks again gentlemen for the pointers and guidance. I think this is enought information help me change the front sprocket when my part comes in at the dealer. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by trinc
                  just leave the two together. mark the actuator as i did then take the bolt all the way out.

tim
                  Whew close one Tim...
                  I was afraid he was gonna take that off before someone told him he didn't need to!!

Comment

BTW, how/why do you mark actuator? I want to be sure I understand this.

Comment

Just draw a line with a scribe (sharp metal point)
                      or a fine permenant marker.
                      Draw it across the whole link and shaft.
                      Now when you go to replace it the link can
                      only go in one spot to get the mark to line up..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                        Just draw a line with a scribe (sharp metal point)
                        or a fine permenant marker.
                        Draw it across the whole link and shaft.
                        Now when you go to replace it the link can
                        only go in one spot to get the mark to line up..
                        Ah...I see. Thanks!

Comment

You going up or down Anthony? And why the change? Just curious.

Comment

I'm going down a tooth. I don't need the top end (why do I need to go 235kph) and the bike becomes more throttle responsive. I likely prefer more "torque" for in-town riding. I'll let you know how the change turns out.

Comment

Working...
                            X