X

Engine noise?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine noise?

I got on my friends hondaf4 and noticed how quiet the thing was. I turn my bike on and you can hear the engine noise. Now I have asked the dealer I bought the bike from and they asured me it was normal. It doesn't sound like valves. I know beacuase I've done them myself and believe me they are right on the money( I am a skilled gauge maker/ tool and die maker) The noise sounds like it coming from the covers on the fairing side, left one. Anyway was wondering if any of you ever noticed this before. Oh ya that bike also shifts alot smoother than my kat.

Well, there's a few possibilities.

First of all, water cooled engines are generally quieter because the coolant and the water jackets that the coolant circulates in both act as additional noise suppression for the mechanical noises... thus, a water cooled version of an engine is usually mechanically quieter than an oil-air cooled engine.

Second, your cam chain might be loose. It's a common problem with Katana's, especially if they are run on cheap oil, or the oil is overtaxed at some point. The result is a sound that sounds like a singer sewwing machine when the bike is at idle. Fortunately, it's easy and cheap to fix -- replace the tensioner spring, or the tensioner assembly if necessary.
    New vs. Used:

Third (since you already generally ruled out the valves and mechanical damages to the valves/springs/cams) is the question of your oil quality and quantity. The higher the oil pressure, the higher the oil level (up to the full mark by the book method) and the better the oil, the more it will absorb mechanical noises. The comments about differences in the smoothness of shifting indicate that this may well be the basis of your issues...

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

As far as oil I use mobile one. Mxt something. HGey maybe you can listen to it someday. Your just around the corner from me.

Comment

noise 2

I just bought a 01 600 kat and also seem to think that the engine makes more noise then it should. Waiting for manual to arrive. It only has 3500 miles but I think it was the original oil and filter when I got it. Ofcorse I changed it now. I used and 4 cycle blend/synth,and new filter. In the mean time where would I locate that spring to measure it? Thanks Brian
        2001 KATANA 600
        1989 K5 BLAZER
        1976 MAZDA COSMO +3 OTHERS
        1977 FIAT 124 SPIDER
        1967 GT500 SHELBY MUSTANG

BRIAN

Comment

Re: noise 2

Brian, go to the stickies at the top of the Mechanics section and find the link for the OEM Suzuki factory manual in PDF format. Download it and look up the cam chain tensioner assembly and what you have to do to get it out & in... It lies in the rear center of the engine, under the carbs, by the alternator.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Peferect, Ill locate that and give it a check...Thanks
            2001 KATANA 600
            1989 K5 BLAZER
            1977 FIAT 124 SPIDER

BRIAN

Comment

Noise found - Attention California bike models

Ok so I thought i could tackle my valve adjustment.....Saw the Californa BS and decided to let the pros handle it..Note to self call Suzuki tomarrow...While I was in there I did poke around and started my bike to check carbs while air filter was off. My 600 only has 3400 miles just bought last week so its new to me. Anyways after I fired it up I could hear the noise louder - almost like an exhast leak. I keep getting my ear closer and closer then Wala! Good old California models seem to not only have a battery draining usless fan (removed tonight), but a Air system called a PAIR Valve. This pair valve gets its air intake via a small plastic box with a foam piece inside (keep out the small birds I guess. Mine was split open bypassing its foam silencer and causing ALOT of racket. As soon as I held it shut..wow...sounds like a normal 4cylinder again (previously own Nighthawks). The pair valve should close under vacuum per manual but I dont seem to be building enough vacuum to close it at idle (call to Suzuki for valve adjust and carb sync). I rigid my seperated air box with the handy hot glue gun and tie strap to hold her shut...also added a piece of heater hose to help quite it down futher. let me see if I can figure out how to get a pic here: Ofcourse you may all already know this and my search abilty sucks.... but hope this helps someone from a noisey embarrasment next to a VFR. Brian ...ok too stupid / tired to learn how to get pics up so heres a link to my site....

2001 KATANA 600
              1989 K5 BLAZER
              1977 FIAT 124 SPIDER

BRIAN

Comment

Re: Noise found - Attention California bike models

Originally posted by CAKAT600
                Ok so I thought i could tackle my valve adjustment.....Saw the Californa BS and decided to let the pros handle it..Note to self call Suzuki tomarrow...
                Valve adjustment process is the same for the Cali models as the others once you get the tank and PAIR valve out of the way & cap off the vacuum lines. Now, far be it for me to suggest that you break any local ordinances, but a number of our members have de-california-ized their Kats and it really isn't that complicated (pro: far fewer things to go wrong, easier to troubleshoot; con: bike will take an extra 1/2 second to start, creates more pollution).

Originally posted by CAKAT600
                While I was in there I did poke around and started my bike to check carbs while air filter was off. My 600 only has 3400 miles just bought last week so its new to me. Anyways after I fired it up I could hear the noise louder - almost like an exhast leak. I keep getting my ear closer and closer then Wala! Good old California models seem to not only have a battery draining usless fan (removed tonight), but a Air system called a PAIR Valve. This pair valve gets its air intake via a small plastic box with a foam piece inside (keep out the small birds I guess. Mine was split open bypassing its foam silencer and causing ALOT of racket. As soon as I held it shut..wow...sounds like a normal 4cylinder again (previously own Nighthawks). The pair valve should close under vacuum per manual but I dont seem to be building enough vacuum to close it at idle (call to Suzuki for valve adjust and carb sync). I rigid my seperated air box with the handy hot glue gun and tie strap to hold her shut...also added a piece of heater hose to help quite it down futher. let me see if I can figure out how to get a pic here: Ofcourse you may all already know this and my search abilty sucks.... but hope this helps someone from a noisey embarrasment next to a VFR. Brian ...ok too stupid / tired to learn how to get pics up so heres a link to my site....

http://members.tripod.com/mazda_cosmo/id12.html
                That's the air filter for the PAIR valve system, should be replaced every other year, and runs about $20 - $21 through RonAyers. Gets obsoleted if you de-california-ize the bike (along with the PAIR valve, the 2nd air system, the cannister and all the lines for the cannister -- the only add-in is a set of block-off plates for the openings under each exhaust header which lead to the pair valve).

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                X