X

Battery question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery question

I need a new battery. Do I need anything specific? Someone told me not to get an everstart from walmart. I went to NTB and they had one bike battery but they said I didnt want it because it was for cruiser type bikes with a bigger alternator. Suzuki wants 90 bucks for one and that seems nuts. So, what do I want? Daniel

walmarts batteries work jsut fine and 90 bucks from the dealer is a lil high but i bet its a yuasa battery which seem to last alot longer then most

Comment

Die hards have lasted really well for me..
      (however last battery I bought was a looooong time ago)

Comment

You have a 98+. That means you need an maintenance free battery (no drain hose built into the system). There are several Yuasa batteries that will fit, and you can find them reasonably priced either mail order and/or via some of the motorcycle shops & battery-specialty places.

The list is as follows:
        OEM: Yuasa YTX9-BS
        RATING: 12V 8 Ah, 120 CCA

Optional Alternatives:
        Yuasa YTX9 (same size, factory-sealed)
        RATING: 12V 8 Ah, 120 CCA

Yuasa YTZ10S (12mm shorter than OEM, factory sealed)
        RATING: 12V 10 Ah, 190 CCA

*MAY FIT*:
        Yuasa YTZ14S (5mm taller than OEM, factory sealed)
        RATING: 12V 11.2 Ah, 230 CCA

There are aftermarket brands as well, but in my experience, the maint free aftermarkets do not tend to hold up nearly as well to the heat & vibration of a motorcycle in heavy use.

Standard maint free batteries will require filling with acid at the outset and then charging to top them off; factory filled won't require the step of adding acid (added at the factory), but should still be charged fully before use. All charging should be done with a charger rated at 1/10th the amp-hour rating of the battery or smaller to avoid overheating (cooking) the battery.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
        X