Hard Shifting and other Qs...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Shifting and other Qs...

Hi all,

I just bought my '94 Kat 600 a couple of weeks ago and haven't received my manual yet. It's a great bike but I have a couple of questions:

- How much oil should there be in this bike? It had sit overnight the other day and I couldn't see the oil in the gallery when the bike was level so I poured in a half-liter and it then showed between the Full and Empty lines in the oil gallery window. When the bike is running I am not seeing any oil in the gallery window at all, is this normal? How much should I see in the oil gallery window after the bike has sit (engine off) for a few hours or overnight? How much should I see when the engine is running at idle?

- I am finding that the bike is a little hard/stiff in the shifting but it does run through all of the gears. The clutch lever is also stiff/hard to pull in compared to the '86 Radian I had prior to this bike. Occasionally I'll try and shift into one of the gears (not any one gear and only going up) and it won't do so until I put significant pressure on the shifter. So far it has always shifted but sometimes it has to be "forced" up a gear (no probs noticed on the downshifts). Would this be oil (or lack of) related? Is there any known issues surrounding gearing on these bikes? Any tips on clutch/lever adjustment?

For what it's worth the bike has 39 K Km on it and is in pretty decent overall shape especially the engine which is in excellent condition.

Thanks for any help you all can provide.

when you check the oil do you have the bike up on the centerstand on a level surface or is it leaning to the side on the kickstand. i noticed that when you tilt the bike up straight oil appears in the sightglass but when you put it back on the kickstand it goes down to the low. i am not exactly sure though when filling with oil how you check it. standing straight up on the center stand or leaning to the left on the kickstand. maybe someone can help you(us) with this question

Comment

Straight up

When I check the oil I have the bike on a level surface (my paved driveway) and on the wheels as I did with the Yammie Radian prior, neither stand. I also noted the lack of oil o nthe side stand but oil visible in the gallery window when off it and sitting level.

DAMN!! I just noticed that I'm a "Skid Mark"

Comment

I think I'm reading you right:
        What I do is just tip the bike upright..
        That is the "check" position.

About the shifting.
        Odd that down shifts are better.
        What about clutchless?
        Once crusing in 2nd gear "relax" the throttle
        while lifting the shift lever. It should snik
        right into 3rd..
        How does it feel stopped? Even with engine off you should be
        able to go through all the gears. Even with your hand.
        It might be binding in the linkage.

Do a search there are lots of good write ups on clutch adjustment..

Comment

Q: What oil are you using? It plays heavily into how smooth the shifts are...

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Oil...

CP,

I'm not sure what oil the PO used but I assume it was 10w40. I added a half liter of Suzuki 10w40 myself. Considering that I'm not 100% sure what oil was used it's a good idea to add new oil and a filter.

What oil do you all recommend? Any benefit to using synthetic? Will synth affect clutch operation (slippage, etc.)? I know my Radian didn't like the synth.

Any suggestion are appreciated.

Thanks all! Your info/experience is greatly appreciated.

Comment

In Nova Scotia, I'd say 10w40, JASO-MA spec motor oil (which will be API SF/SG by definition -- do not use API SJ or later in your Kat!).

My preferences are Castrol GPS (not GTX), and as a fall-backs, Mobil 1 MX4T or Motorex. There are a lot of good JASO-MA spec oils out there, both synthetic and non-synthetic, and you won't have any problems with your clutch as result of ANY of them. That may not be the case if you move to an automotive motor oil in categories SJ through SM (which have friction modifiers incompatible with wet clutches).

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Welcome fellow Maritimer, put the Kat on it's center stand and use 10W40 (go to your local dealer). Give the bike an oil and filter change if you are unsure when the last one was. My 98Kat 750 used about 3 leters. When the engine is running you will NOT see the oil through the glass.

Comment

Working...
                X