Gasoline in my oil mystery

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gasoline in my oil mystery

Hello folks,

I need help, I've run out of idea's. I have a 97 750 kat that for some reason has gas leaking into my oil. I recently pulled the bike apart and checked to make sure the floats are within spec and not sticking, no problem there. Then I realized I had a petcock that had a bad diaphram and was leaking gas. I figured that i found the problem, gas must have been getting sucked into the vacuum. So I bought a new petcock, put it all back together and it fired right up. I let it run at idle for about 20 minutes, then I took it for a quick spin around the 'hood.

The next day I tried to fire it up and nothing, battery couldn't even turn it over, so I put it on the charger(surprised it was dead, brand new battery) and looked at the oil level window and noticed it was completely full. I drained some of the oil out and could definately smell lots of gas in it and it was runnier than usual. I checked the fuel switch setting and it was in the "on" position, not prime.

So, my question is, where do I look now? I know it's not the petcock or floats. What would cause this scenerio other than this? Valves maybe?
    Steve
    97 Katana 750

did you chek the float needle ??
    the rubber point on them ..

Comment

I checked to make sure they weren't obstructed is all, i'm no carb expert by anymeans, i was winging it with a haynes manual.
      Steve
      97 Katana 750

Comment

Did you change your oil (twice!) after finding out that it was leaking gas into the oil the first time? If not, that could still be residual fuel, since an oil change only changes 65-75% of the volume of the oil in the bike (about 90% if you dump the contents of the oil cooler as well). It only takes a little bit of fuel to degrade a lot of oil...

As for the battery issue, sounds like you have a short somewhere, or the system isn't charging as it should. Try using this page to help you with the electrical part of the problem:
        CyberPoet's Motorcycle Electric Charging System Problems & Resolution

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

CP, no I didn't change oil twice, and I forgot to empty the oil cooler unit before filling it back up, so you might be on to something there. As far as the oil unit, if I just take the drain bolt off of the oil pan, and let the bike sit overnight, will that empty the cooler? Or do I need to disconnect one of the hoses that attach to the engine? I'll take care of that and post results later.

One thing that I wonder about tho, is right after I put it all together, i had the oil level right in the middle of the peep window (while on centerstand). I started it up for 2 minutes, turned it off and noticed the level was low, so I filled it back to the halfway point. Ran for 20 minutes that time, turned it off. Level was still in the middle. Had lunch, came out and took it for a drive around the 'hood (maybe 1 mile), partked it on the centerstand and noticed the level was almost all the way to the top of the window. The next day, I could not see any air in the window. Dumped it out and it had alot of gas in it. So it seems to me as if there is some kind of constant flow into the crankcase. Any thoughts?

Also I've wondered if the battery is getting a proper charge, thanks for the link to your guide, I'll look through it.
          Steve
          97 Katana 750

Comment

Originally posted by v10
            CP, no I didn't change oil twice, and I forgot to empty the oil cooler unit before filling it back up, so you might be on to something there. As far as the oil unit, if I just take the drain bolt off of the oil pan, and let the bike sit overnight, will that empty the cooler? Or do I need to disconnect one of the hoses that attach to the engine? I'll take care of that and post results later..
            When you drain the engine via the standard oil drain bolt, you won't empty the cooler (and there are other locations in the engine/tranny that won't drain fully either). To drain the cooler, you need to physically disconnect it and manually drain it.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Is your pockcosk at Prim? I left mine on Prim all winter and this spring the oil was full of gas. the gas has know where else to go but down.

Comment

Working...
              X