X

can i reuse my nuts?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can i reuse my nuts?

im starting in on swapping my old 2001 600 engine for a new(er) one... i've got the old engine out, but i am a little puzzled where the service manual says to use new engine mounting nuts...

PAGE 3-6

NOTE:
    The engine mounting nuts are self-locking. Once the nuts have been removed, they are no longer of any use. Be sure to use new nuts and tighten them to the specified torque.

i ordered 4 regular nuts (two different part numbers) and 2 of those teardrop style nuts (point 4 on page 3-6), and they were definately cheap enough, but I can't see how the old ones "self lock". they look like normal threaded nuts to me...

i know a number of you have done engine swaps, does anyone remember if you have to change these or not? the reason i ask is that the new nuts will be here in about 10 days, but i can get the bike back together tomorrow if i can use the old nuts and loctite...

btw, i assume that suzuki super grease "A" (that's specified in the manual, page 3-8) is just white lithium grease, right?

they might be like a compression lock nut. like to where the side you thread it onto the bolt is perfectly circular and then the other side is slightly oval, like someone smashed it in a vice ever so lightly. So once you thread it on it goes on and holds, but after being put on and off it might lose it's shape and not hold with virbrations......just my 2 cents.

and as you said they are cheap, and probably easier to put them in now while your at it than on the side of a road.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Loctite ?
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I never... ever...ever, ever, ever...reuse my nuts...

oh right...those nuts... sorry
        I wouldn't be so paranoid... if everyone wasn't out to get me.

Comment

If you reuse them, I'd locktite them into place with liberal locktite... and then I'd RTV over the exposed threads to prevent them from backing out if the locktite doesn't hold. But more likely I'd shoot over to my local Ace hardware and find a matching nylock nut instead ( ) because that's my nature...

Q: Did you take the time & $$ to replace the engine support cushions?

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Be careful about using a nylon insert lock nut. Metallic lock nuts may have been used originally because of heat (I do not know exactly what nuts you are talking about). If you can buy metallic lock nuts for a reasonable cost I would stick with them.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
              didn't know i could or should, but since i've already dropped the engine, i'm not sure what cushions you are talking about... it looked to me like the the two spots in the back (by the rear shock) bolt directly, and the rest bolt to the lower engine frame directly. i assume that they are rubber compound, dry up and should be replaced if given the opportunity? i havent taken the engine frame rails completely off yet, i assume thats where they are?

have you used nylon nuts for this? do you know if these are in fact one-time use nuts? the reason i ask is it sounds like many members have swapped engines and of course you would loctite them (and just about every bolt taken out during the swap) but the only place this is mentioned is the service manual... i would like to follow this thing exactly, but they also say use threadlock 1342, threadlock 1303, and suzuki super grease "a" only, when i asked about these at the local suzuki dealership they just about laughed at me, and when i insisted, they had to order them. so what do their "authorized" mechanics use? i believe these are just strong loctite, medium loctite, and waterproof grease....

it seems like going by the book in the swap is not that practically accurate... these nuts don't look like metallic lock nuts or compression nuts (i looked very carefully), they look like they just get loctited on.

thx for the help

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                Originally posted by ndn
                didn't know i could or should, but since i've already dropped the engine, i'm not sure what cushions you are talking about... it looked to me like the the two spots in the back (by the rear shock) bolt directly, and the rest bolt to the lower engine frame directly. i assume that they are rubber compound, dry up and should be replaced if given the opportunity? i havent taken the engine frame rails completely off yet, i assume thats where they are?
                SEE:
                '01 Crankcase Fiche File at RonAyers.com
                Items # 46 on the above fiche. Engine Mounting Bushings. These should be vibration isolators for the engine vibrations passing to the frame, if I recall correctly (I may be mistaken; I haven't had them out yet because I have yet to have a Kat engine fail on me).

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by shefkat2000
                  I never... ever...ever, ever, ever...reuse my nuts...

oh right...those nuts... sorry
                  huh? I reuse mine every chance I get.

Comment

oh those

i'll check em tonight and make sure they're not hard... i guess the consensus is that i should not use the original nuts... oh well, more taking the bus for me for another week

Comment

Working...
                    X