X

Got some cash to spend. What should I do

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got some cash to spend. What should I do

What's up KR? Quick question...I have "permission" to spend about $300 on my bike. Should I go cosmetic upgrade or performance? What mods should I do in either category? I ride the bike to work for the most part due to my job (Drill Sergeant) but I hit twisities with the boys whenever possible. I haven't done any mods as of yet but I need some advice before the wife changes her mind. Here's a list of a few future mods yet to come...
    Solo cowl
    Black Chrome Windscreen
    New foot pegs
    Steel braided brake lines
    New pads (not sure which ones are best)
    Wileyco Exhaust, possibly dual(cause I'm cheap )
    Undertail and hugger (from somewhere)
    New shocks
    Red bolt kit and fairing kit
    Clip ons (?)
    Ivan's Jet Kit (if needed) {heard from a previous Kat owner that it's pointless to try to upgrade performance on a Kat with a jet kit...thoughts?}
    New sprockets and chain
    Led blinkers and tail light

Trying to get the most bang for the buck for right now cause I doubt I'll get this chance again for a while. Help a brotha out!

what matters most speed/sound or looks, you ride to work maybe some bags?

Comment

It all matters to me...I can deal with the looks (shovel still on for now) but would love the sound. Speed isn't real important right now since I haven't been riding that long. I've only had it up to 115 so far and that's scary to me.
      Just look for "If I were you...." opinions, that's all. It'll all eventually get done but I'm anxious to spend some money right now.

Comment

Since it's a hard decision, you should just give me the money to get my bike up and running.....
        I'm starting to wonder if you all need a beatdown.

Comment

$300 will pay for a track day or two and that's the best bang-for-the buck performance improvement you can make.
          I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

ca lights all around and cut the shovel and a new windscreen would make make the most looks imporvment and maybe a cowl

Comment

i would go for the braided lines-big improvement over stock, and if you're over about 160lbs., maybe some fork springs.

Comment

hmm, i would go with the led blinkers and a slip-on, the slip-on would help you be heard and a slight hp help also maybe, the leds would give your bike a nice visual look and also helps to be noticed...just my opinion.

Comment

i see Yoshi slip on pipes on eday for under $300, love my Yoshi.

But you could tint the windshield, cawl, clear ligts, mesh mods, etc

Comment

IMHO:

It's an '06. That means it still has stock tires, so swap those first. Sell the old ones on eBay afterwards to liberate most of your $$ back out of the bike (see the end of this thread for my pre-made text files to list your tires on eBay with, to save you from having to rewrite the item description: http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18010 ).

Then take the $250 you'll have after selling the existing tires (including the $50 - $80 cash you had left over after swapping tires) and look at your own gear. If your gear isn't 100%, start working on that. Jacket, pants, gloves, helmet, etc. If you're already good on gear AND have done your 600 mile service, come back and ask again

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Spend that money right away! Next thing you'll be out lookin at furniture or some other silly thing. Get on the net and order up the tires, windscreen and turn singals right away that way your committed. Cyber's point about your gear is a good one too.

Comment

So tires huh? Metzeler or different? (Read alot of good things about them here) As far as gear I already have a JR Meteor 4 jacket, pants, First Gear gloves, and KBC TK8 Helmet. Got a friend willing to part with an Alpine Star jacket but not sure if I need a third jacket. Thanks Cyber for the feedback. Comments, suggestions welcomed.

Comment

I prefer the Metzeler Z6's, but you'll be served just as well in KS by the Pirelli Diablo Stradas.

Gear: look at newenough.com for GP-style hard pads. Replace the pads in your existing jackets (if they come out by design) with these instead.

After that, you can start debating what's next... personally, I'd say after the tires and the pads, either additional training (a track day for example) or an Ivan's jet kit, IMHO, depending on your skill level.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                          X