X

Shift Kit ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift Kit ?

I just wanted to know how hard it would be for me to install a shift kit myself or should I take it to a pro.

And if anyone has done it can you let me know the steps I have to do

Thanks!

If it is the Factory Pro Transmission Shift Detent Spring Kit, it's not that hard. You need to drop the oil pan from the bottom of the engine to get at the detent spring. Factory Pro gives you everything needed. Instructions provided are good and the results are a more positive feel. First gear engagement is a definite improvemment.
    Bike is sold

Comment

will this kit help with second not consistantly engaging? where can i get one?
      "at 140 MPH, life some how seems BLURRY"

Comment

Originally posted by 93kat600blck
        will this kit help with second not consistantly engaging? where can i get one?
        Not if 2nd gear is already damaged, but it will help keep you from damaging it if it isn't.

you can get them at www.factorypro.com

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

dumb question but what does a shift kit actually do?

Comment

Originally posted by gpggnnn
            Dido......
            Fast Eddie

No day is promised, live life to the fullest!!

Comment

second is nearly new, i replaced it and all componants about 700 miles ago, any time i miss the shift i slow down and stop as not to damage second again, so i think it is still in good shape
              "at 140 MPH, life some how seems BLURRY"

Comment

Originally posted by gpggnnn
                The one we are talking about increases the amount of force needed to start the shift actively (with your foot), which means more speed when it does move and better mating on the other end of the shift. This tends to result in better, crisper shifts and less likeliness of gears dancing on each other due to an incomplete shift.

There are also speed-shifters which are whole different ballgame; they shift for you at the push of a button to minimize shifting times during drag racing.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

And they actually make them for Kats?
                  Fast Eddie

No day is promised, live life to the fullest!!

Comment

Originally posted by fasteddie
                    And they actually make them for Kats?
                    They make both types for the Kats, although the drag-style speed-shifters are generic and will some fiddling to install & work. Try to remember that the basic engine was used for years as the bandit 1200 and old oil-cooled GSXR1100 engine, so many external add-ons designed for those will work with our bikes.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Just put my "trans detent spring kit" in today. It was a little bit of a pain, but all in all it took about 2 hours. I recommend waiting until you're due for an oil change. (Since you have to drop the oil pan) Also, a good set of snap-ring pliers is a must. Simple installation once you have the exhaust dropped and pan off.
                      Nothin like watchin the sparks fly off the footpegs...

Comment

Originally posted by katcurvincorners
                        Just put my "trans detent spring kit" in today...
                        How the difference in feel?

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

the shifter is just a bit stiffer... seems like you have to put a bit more pressure on it to get it to slide into gear... however, i have noticed that the shifts are a lot crisper. It helps just a bit in keeping the revs up between shifts.
                          Nothin like watchin the sparks fly off the footpegs...

Comment

Working...
                          X