No announcement yet.
X

92 GSXR 1127 engine into 750F Kat, questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning the mixture screws adjust the amount of fuel into the engine at idle.
    Turning them in leans the mixture.
    1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
    V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
    Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

• Word on the street is to set the screws at 2.5 turns out.
      My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

• Ok, finally found my answer in print: "The pilot circuit has two adjustable parts. The pilot air screw and pilot jet. The air screw can be located either near the back side of the carburetor or near the front of the carburetor.
        If the screw is located near the back, it regulates how much air enters the circuit. If the screw is turned in, it reduces the amount of air and richens the mixture. If it is turned out, it opens the passage more and allows more air into the circuit which results in a lean mixture."

Comment

• When I got my Kat6 back from the Suzuki dealer, after having the carbs rebuilt, the idle was about 1300 rpm. I thought it was high but after talking to people its supposed to be in that range and not 800 rpm like I thought.
          Also, have you compared the pilot jet sizes between the K11 and the
          K750 ? If so, I'm curious what the sizes are.

Comment

• Yes I did, I been using those as guides. The 89 gxsr1100 uses the same carbs as the pre
            750 Katana. The 750 uses #32.5.
            So, I tried the 89 1100 jets (#30) but still way too rich, so I'm jumping down to #25.
            Weeks of time wasted during this process has been waiting for part shipments.
            Using my Colortune has been a big help. I've been seeing yellow-orange flame no matter where I set the screws, even completely shut, plus black plugs.
            The part of that quotes I did not include said: "If the air screw has to be turned more than 2 turns out for best idling, the next smaller size pilot jet will be needed."
            "if it seems to make very little difference turning the screw, you are probably rich on the pilot, and can go down a step."

Comment

• Originally posted by buffalobill View Post
              Yes I did, I been using those as guides. The 89 gxsr1100 uses the same carbs as the pre
              750 Katana. The 750 uses #32.5.
              So, I tried the 89 1100 jets (#30) but still way too rich, so I'm jumping down to #25.
              Weeks of time wasted during this process has been waiting for part shipments.
              Using my Colortune has been a big help. I've been seeing yellow-orange flame no matter where I set the screws, even completely shut, plus black plugs.
              The part of that quotes I did not include said: "If the air screw has to be turned more than 2 turns out for best idling, the next smaller size pilot jet will be needed."
              "if it seems to make very little difference turning the screw, you are probably rich on the pilot, and can go down a step."
              That assuming the carbs are truely and fully clean. If your carbs are partially dirty, have build up, or otherwise has something else restricting the flow of fuel through the pilot system, your adjustments on the a/f screws will also have little effect as it's not them that are actually restricting the flow.

Its a simple way to tell on stock carbs... turn out the a/f screws and no change = very clearly partial clogged pilot system.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

• Well, I have time to clean them.
                They could have become clogged during my test runs.
                Thanks.

Comment

• If your using the GSXR 1100 as your guide for the pilots, wouldn't that be a little different than the Kat1100 since it has lower compression and different cams. ??? EDIT:Also, the pilot screws can be tricky. Some times you may think your turning them ,but in reality your really not.
                  Since my carbs were rebuilt about 4 years ago, the idle as settled to about 800 rpm. It still runs like a champ, it just doesn't idle at 1200-1300 rpm like it did the first two years. FYI, The mechanic never complained about my pod filters being a issue either.
                  Last edited by katanarider; 12-23-2015, 08:18 AM.

Comment

• Well, only the exhaust system is K1100, and that would only be relevant at high rpm as back pressure builds up, maybe.

Comment

• Oh, I thought you had a stock Katana 1127...sorry
                      I checked into the Factory Pro Long Boy pilot screws for my K1100 and discovered they're the same part for the Kat600...don't know if that means any thing to you.

Comment

• Not a good day for burning

Those long boy needles look like a very good idea, but not the price for now.
                        The #25 idle jets came today, but the opening is larger that the #30.
                        Bummer, it would have been useful to know that the opening gets bigger as the number gets smaller.
                        So I put the original jets in #32.5, but the engine won't fire up_
                        I can't get mad because: it's raining, the humidity is 100%, the temp is 59 and the dew point is 59, everything metal is covered with dew.
                        Just have to wait for dry weather.

Comment

• The Katana 1100 California edition came with 42.5 / Part # 09492-42010
                          As far as I know they are interchangeable. "shpielers" swapped his California jets for the 32.5 , he may still have them laying around. I'd send him a pm to see if he wants them.

Comment

• Bike is on the road!

Ok, long wait but I got the bike running and on the road, did 50 miles today.
                            Idle is still high at 2300 RPM, and that may be a cam and valve issue I don't wanna deal with during track season. This will work very well for a trackday bike.
                            I think I got a medium cool bike

Comment

• Congrats !!! That is bad-ass !!!

I hope to do the same one day, but I want to keep her a street machine. Just want more power for two-up riding...
                              2005 Katana 750

Comment

• Thanks a bunch!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X