X

HID Conversion on my 99 Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
    Do you have any pics of the bracket on with the fairings in place?
    That first pic link and this one. I could take more if need be.

Also: the forward-on shot makes it appear that your headlights have fresnel in the lenses -- I'm guessing this is just a trick my sleep-addled brain is playing on me and it's actually in the reflectors, right?
    Yes, they are regular clear reflectors, no fresnel lens to them.
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy
      Do you have any pics of the bracket on with the fairings in place?
      That first pic link and this one. I could take more if need be.
      Q: Any modification to the plastics of the fairing for that set-up? I like it alot. Also, I can't tell for sure -- does it rotate with the forks (it doesn't appear to)?

Also, do you have any plan drawing for the bracket assembly?

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

very nice setup squiggy, i'd be interested in the plans also if you had them available.
        I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
        http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

Q: Any modification to the plastics of the fairing for that set-up? I like it alot. Also, I can't tell for sure -- does it rotate with the forks (it doesn't appear to)?

Also, do you have any plan drawing for the bracket assembly?
          No modification has been done to the plastics what so ever. (I need to edit that respose: I do not have the inner fairings on my Kat, i.e. the curved pieces that cover up the turn signals. I got tired of having to remove and replace them every time I removed the main body work, so I left them off.)

No rotation with the forks. They are mounted to the underside of the headlight assembly.

And, no on the plans. I just went to the local hardware store with an idea that I had been toying in my head, and came back with several parts that I thought would work. I do believe I had to go back a couple times when something did not work out, though.

I could remove it and take some other pictures of the different componets if you guys would like, as I don't have a parts list.

If you do want more pics, it probably wont happen till the weekend, though.
          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

I'm curious as to how the Eclipse SCMR16, a self contained balast HID lights would work.
            I'd love to see the beam patterns from those...
            ...(not at anything approaching that price -- $150? Wow, that's low!).

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            UPDATE:
            I talked to the manufacturer today and submitted paperwork to become an authorized dealer. The SCMR 16 HIDs are available in two focal lengths, spot-driving beam (12 degree spread) and area lighting (38 degree spread). These lights are not DOT certified, but since they are intended as secondary lighting instead of primary lighting, I'm not sure that it's real important (???). There should be a set of them enroute to me by this time next week. Exact dimensions to follow, but they are too large to mount under the center fairing on the 98+ Kats, with a 2-3/4" approximate depth without the mounting pole & bracket... And of course I'll treat my KR brothers right and sell them cheaper

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Marc,
            I'm curious to know what your findings were. Can you give me any updates? I purchased an HID conversion kit for my truck, and I'm wondering if the same couldn't be applied to the motorcycle.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I'm curious as to how the Eclipse SCMR16, a self contained balast HID lights would work.
              Originally posted by steves
              Marc,
              I'm curious to know what your findings were. Can you give me any updates? I purchased an HID conversion kit for my truck, and I'm wondering if the same couldn't be applied to the motorcycle.
              They kind of dropped the ball and kept not getting back to me. I don't know the full story, but it appears the guys packaging the solution aren't reliable.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Just one question Marc ...
                Would a fresnel lens (like I happen to have in the dual lights for low beam) be "better" for a HID-conversion or just a big nono?

Comment

This is the ebay kit I used for my truck. I'm thinking about trying it for my bike too. I think the Bandit and Kat both use H4 type bulbs. Anyone else given this a shot?
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by kwebbel
                    Just one question Marc ...
                    Would a fresnel lens (like I happen to have in the dual lights for low beam) be "better" for a HID-conversion or just a big nono?
                    There's no reason a fresnel lens shouldn't do the job well even with the HID's unless the HID bulbs put the burn-spot in the wrong place (front-to-rear) compared to the filaments in the H4 stock bulbs.

Can you ask at the dealer in your area and tell me how much the fresnel'd lense assembly costs there without VAT (i.e. -specifically for export)? I would imagine that there would be a definite advantage to doing a fresnel lens in terms of how well the light focuses on the road -- and the american lenses are perfectly flat.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

So what ever happened to this HID talk?

And squiggy, how do you like those 1100x's?

I'm thinking about getting a set of those for my kat
                      Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                      18v Rigid Drill
                      Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
                      New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

well im using hids as well and i never had a problem with it getting to hot i guess its cause i only have one on my lows and for my high beams i dont have n e things i only turn on the light @ night to keep my batt from draining it take out alot of power. i have a evo8 bat with a 6000k bulb

http://www.bikepics.com/members/gsxfaaron/05gsx750f/

Comment

Working...
                        X