X

Gsxr swingarm swap?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gsxr swingarm swap?

Hey guys I got a 92 750 kat and i hate the skinny rear wheel, so I have a complete swingarm setup off a 92 Gix 750...brake,wheel,bearings an arm laying around...was wondering if anyone has done it or know any tips/trick as to go about this. Thanks guys!

Originally posted by DaBears View Post
    Hey guys I got a 92 750 kat and i hate the skinny rear wheel, so I have a complete swingarm setup off a 92 Gix 750...brake,wheel,bearings an arm laying around...was wondering if anyone has done it or know any tips/trick as to go about this. Thanks guys!

Pretty sure your gonna have to cut the lower subframe and peg mounts off. Weld on custom pet moutns and use SS pegs or make custom.

Additionally you will need some custom spacers for the swingarm pivit to be work right. Can't remember if it's wider or thinner, but either way.. .the bolt is larger on the GSXR swingarm so that needs to be addressed.

The linkage for the swinarm connects slightly differently as well if I remember right, and will need some custom parts made as well.

OR...

You could modify the existing Kat swingarm to fit the larger wheel.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ahh yes I've read your post and you mod these right? You cut and weld sections in...well it just so happens my profession is a mig/tig welder, do you think you can pm me specs or make the sections for me and I will buy them and weld on myself?

Comment

Ahh yes I've read your post and you mod these right? You cut and weld sections in...well it just so happens my profession is a mig/tig welder, do you think you can pm me specs or make the sections for me and I will buy them and weld on myself?

It's nothing that complicated... It's more about measuring and properly spacing the arms after the cuts and welding them in place correctly.

I'll PM you with the specs...

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Hmm interesting so I cut,widen than weld back together basically? Do you have a pic of one you've done?

Comment

Hmm interesting so I cut,widen than weld back together basically? Do you have a pic of one you've done?
            Sure. This one doesn't show the brake arm mount moved which I do now... but it's good comparison shot over all.

You saw this thread right?

This is place to post up your long term projects. Projects that took you a while to get done. Post them here. Examples like kwebbel's build up , B-12 engine swaps, swing arm swaps etc..would go here.

I do things a little different, but the actual pics showing the widening of the arms is the same. No more custom spacers or brake arms. All mods I do are to the swingarm and use only stock parts now days. Much cleaner, simpler, and over all cheaper to do.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Comment

Nice work man! How much would you charge if i sent you my swingarm?

Comment

Nice work man! How much would you charge if i sent you my swingarm?

$250 + swingarm + shipping.

2-3 week turn around, ussually can get it done faster.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Comment

thanks for the info krey! Gonna have to start saving now!

Comment

Hey krey theoretically if i decided to stretch the swing arm say 4-5" that should in turn give me enough clearance for the 5.5 wheel right? Since I'm moving the wheel away from the part of the arm that almost touches the tire...does that make sense?

Comment

Yes, with a minimum 3 inch stretch a 5.5 inch wheel can fit.
                      1992- project katfighter
                      2005- GSXR750
                      2001- TL1000R
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
                        Yes, with a minimum 3 inch stretch a 5.5 inch wheel can fit.

+1

Just need to slightly widen the distance between the arms from 9" to 10" when you lengthen it (equally so each moved out 1/2") and your set for the larger wheel.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Comment

nice mod! think you could pm me the specs so i can try out making one?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by biggmac View Post
                            nice mod! think you could pm me the specs so i can try out making one?

thanks
                            This is place to post up your long term projects. Projects that took you a while to get done. Post them here. Examples like kwebbel's build up , B-12 engine swaps, swing arm swaps etc..would go here.
                            1992- project katfighter
                            2005- GSXR750
                            2001- TL1000R
                            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                            www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                            KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                            KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Ty for the fast answer!

Comment

Working...