Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

98-03 kat 600 4-1 header on a 1990 kat 600?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98-03 kat 600 4-1 header on a 1990 kat 600?

Will is work? Wanted to convert the 2-2 into a 4-1. This is just the header pipes. I know I'd need a midpipe and slip on. I read elsewhere that I need to dent the place where the pipes connect so it fits under the oil pan, but do I need to do anything else or will it just bolt right on? What midpipe would fit? Would I need to rejet?

Thanks guys!

You also need the oil pan, and the oil pan pickup tube from a Post Kat 98+. You can't just dent the header and have it fit. Any stock Kat midpipe will fit, but the mount for the muffler on a Post Kat is in a different location than a Pre. No big deal, just make your own.

Do you NEED to rejet? No. But a Stage 1 jet kit will do more for you than the 4-1 header and muffler will.

Comment

Don't dent the header, that is pure hack job work there. If you use a 98+ oil pan and oil pick up, you don't need to dent anything.

Comment

Lols....synchronized posting.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
          You can't just dent the header and have it fit.
          Yes you can, but don't cause that's lame.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            Yes you can, but don't cause that's lame.
            I thought someone here tried it and it still didn't work? The head pipes still wouldn't reach the head?

I mean, sure you can. But that would defeat the whole purpose of the 4-1. You'd just have a 2-1 at that point.

Comment

I thought someone here tried it and it still didn't work? The head pipes still wouldn't reach the head?

I mean, sure you can. But that would defeat the whole purpose of the 4-1. You'd just have a 2-1 at that point.
              I'm sure a lot of people have tried and failed pretty much everything that I've done successfully before. I'm not the only one by a long shot. That "just dent the header" thing has been around since at least 1999, maybe even 1998.

Comment

Just trying to set up a more modern looking street fighter, for as little $ as possible! I think the 4-1 upswept looks nicer and more modern than the stock 2-2. Also, 4-1 gives me the option of using a slip on and changing the sound

Comment

Originally posted by hpjc10 View Post
                  Just trying to set up a more modern looking street fighter, for as little $ as possible! I think the 4-1 upswept looks nicer and more modern than the stock 2-2. Also, 4-1 gives me the option of using a slip on and changing the sound
                  Just don't pound the collector down. Get the Post oil pan and pickup screen.

Comment

Just don't pound the collector down. Get the Post oil pan and pickup screen.
                    But that would also mean taking the motor out of the frame and changing the pickup, no?

Comment

Originally posted by hpjc10 View Post
                      But that would also mean taking the motor out of the frame and changing the pickup, no?
                      Nope. Can all be done in frame.

Seriously, if you pound down the collector, you may as well keep the dual pipes, because the 4-1 won't do anything and you risk killing the cylinders that are affected by the crush due to way too much backpressure.

Comment

i heard somewhere that the pre 750 are 4-1 and dont need to change the oil pan and pickups. Can anyone confirm this?

Comment

Originally posted by wil32 View Post
                          i heard somewhere that the pre 750 are 4-1 and dont need to change the oil pan and pickups. Can anyone confirm this?
                          Incorrect. The stock exhaust on a pre 750 is 4-2 as well.
                          Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Badfaerie View Post
                            Incorrect. The stock exhaust on a pre 750 is 4-2 as well.
                            +1

You can use the old oil cooled GSXR 750 header that was 4-1 though.
                            1992- project katfighter
                            2005- GSXR750
                            2001- TL1000R
                            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                            www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                            KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                            KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
                              +1

You can use the old oil cooled GSXR 750 header that was 4-1 though.
                              Anyone able to verify what year GSXR 750 headers will fit the pre kat?
                              Edit: Found it (89-93)
                              Last edited by eddie_93katana; 07-15-2013, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X