X

shock converson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shock converson

Anyone know if a gsxr rear shock will fit on a post Kat? If so what year gsxr shock will swap strait on but if not what mods would/will need to be done?

Any GSXR shock you use, besides an 85-87 gsxr 750 shock, will raise the rear end of the bike. For closest to stock hieght, but better spring rate IMO, use a bandit 1200 1996-2000 shock. It has a length of 306mm, compared to the newer 01-05 B12 shock which is 320mm, so it doesn't have the contact issues many people face using the B12 shocks.
    Or you could use a post 750 shock, wihich I believe is an upgrade from the 600.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

re: shock

Would you in your opinion do the converson? I was kinda looking at it being a little higher but I don't know how it would effect handling? What do you think the pros and cons would be?

Comment

Depends on what your using the bike for. You don't want to know what I would do suspension-wise, it costs a bit of money.
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Street riding and sharp corners. And I'm open to ideas.

Comment

For low cost, I would get a post 750 kat shock, and talk to suspension guru Tmod about how to set it up properly for your weight. He will likely see this thread sometime today and comment,
            1992- project katfighter
            2005- GSXR750
            2001- TL1000R
            www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

I'd suggest the post 750 shock and your front forks being sent to Tmod and have him rework them both. If you do any work to improve the rear shock, it will quickly point out the deficency of the front forks too...

Tmod can set it up for you right.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by shimmie6689 View Post
                Anyone know if a gsxr rear shock will fit on a post Kat? If so what year gsxr shock will swap strait on but if not what mods would/will need to be done?
                The only GSXR shock I have seen that will fit without modding a bunch of stuff would be a 94 era GSXR750 shock but then you get a shock that needs to be rebuilt and a gold valve installed as it is very restrictive in design. I tried a 08+R6 but it required to much cutting for what I wanted to do.

So I will agree with the others and suggest a reworked post 750 shock if you want to get some decent handling from the kat.

Tmod

Comment

Thanks yall and also im rebuilding a trans on a 98 zx9 any ideas on what would make the shift forks get off track and trash 3rd and 4th both input and out put?

Comment

Thanks yall and also im rebuilding a trans on a 98 zx9 any ideas on what would make the shift forks get off track and trash 3rd and 4th both input and out put?
                    They bent.

Comment

re forks

That's just it I thought that to but upon examining them they don't seem to be bent at all that's what threw me off the kid whos bike it is had the clutch so tight that ypu couldn't pull the lever in so Idk but it shifts from first to sixth when the clutch is disconnected.... I'm stuck and am looking for some thoughts and theories

Comment

That's just it I thought that to but upon examining them they don't seem to be bent at all that's what threw me off the kid whos bike it is had the clutch so tight that ypu couldn't pull the lever in so Idk but it shifts from first to sixth when the clutch is disconnected.... I'm stuck and am looking for some thoughts and theories
                        It's either that or the drum is damaged. The shift forks ride in galleys in the drum, maybe that is damaged?

Comment

Working...
                        X