X

Gutting my exhaust???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gutting my exhaust???

Ok, so obviously you all know that the factory exhaust on these bikes does not sound great and I am wanting something louder and meaner sounding. I cant afford to spend $300 on new exhaust so a buddy told me i can basically gut mine and that would make it louder. But wouldnt that give it that tin can sound? And what problems would/could that cause to my engine?
    What about cutting off my exhaust tips and putting just a cheap tip on it? I gotta get this thing louder! lol

Originally posted by plexlove View Post
    ...I gotta get this thing louder! lol
    Why?

No, really... Why?

Do you like hearing loss? Do you like annoying your neighbors? Do you like the idea of encouraging neighborhood associations around the country to ban motorcycles entirely? Do you like the idea of federally funded, motorcycle only roadside inspections? Do you like the fact that a number of towns have enacted motorcycle specific noise ordinances? Do you like the fact that California has already enacted laws requiring motorcycles to have EPA labels on their exhausts (OEM or aftermarket, it doesn't matter) testifying that the exhaust meets noise reduction standards? (This puts some aftermarket exhaust manufacturers out of business and raises the prices on the ones remaining.)

If you want a louder exhaust, do it right and go with a full system and, for goodness sake, go with something reasonable. Loud for the sake of loud doesn't do you any good (Drivers still won't be able to hear you until you're in front of them, facing away from them already and there's not a significant power gain.) and WILL have negative consequences.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
      Why?

No, really... Why?

Do you like hearing loss? Do you like annoying your neighbors? Do you like the idea of encouraging neighborhood associations around the country to ban motorcycles entirely? Do you like the idea of federally funded, motorcycle only roadside inspections? Do you like the fact that a number of towns have enacted motorcycle specific noise ordinances? Do you like the fact that California has already enacted laws requiring motorcycles to have EPA labels on their exhausts (OEM or aftermarket, it doesn't matter) testifying that the exhaust meets noise reduction standards? (This puts some aftermarket exhaust manufacturers out of business and raises the prices on the ones remaining.)

If you want a louder exhaust, do it right and go with a full system and, for goodness sake, go with something reasonable. Loud for the sake of loud doesn't do you any good (Drivers still won't be able to hear you until you're in front of them, facing away from them already and there's not a significant power gain.) and WILL have negative consequences.
      I want it louder cuz right now i cant even hear it while i am riding it, it is soooo qiuet! And in order for me to buy aftermarket exhaust i have to buy a post exhaust and oil pan, then have to buy the tips, so i am looking at around $400 or more for everything! i just cannot afford that, not even close!
      I am trying to find an easier, cheaper way....its a $1000 bike, i dont want to have to put another 4 or 5hundred into it!

Comment

...Or you can buy a full exhaust used on E-Bay for ~$200.

...Or you can accept that a quiet exhaust that you "cant even hear" when riding is a GOOD THING. It lets you hear the yahoo who just came up the on-ramp into your blind spot while you were watching the dingbat on the cellphone try to cut you off/run you off the road/kill you.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Well if you don't have the money and you don't appreciate the bike enough to put money into it... sell it and buy something with a louder exhaust or save your money and be content with what you have.

Comment

Why would you have to go the post touchy. They make slip ons for the pre.
            When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

They "did" make slip ons for the pre, Cobras are the only ones I know of personally and they haven't been made in a long time.
              1992- project katfighter
              2005- GSXR750
              2001- TL1000R
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
              www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
              KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
              KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Try picking up a set of slipons for a GSXR1000 when they've had a dual exhaust, and make them fit. You can get a set of Boz Bros slipons for an 07-08 GSXR1000 for $120 on closeout from iron pony right now.
                Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                  Try picking up a set of slipons for a GSXR1000 when they've had a dual exhaust, and make them fit. You can get a set of Boz Bros slipons for an 07-08 GSXR1000 for $120 on closeout from iron pony right now.
                  Ok i checked those out and they look perfect! What mods will i need to make to my pipes to get them to fit or will they slip right on after i cut off my old ones? Cuz that is an amazing deal!

Comment

Ok i checked those out and they look perfect! What mods will i need to make to my pipes to get them to fit or will they slip right on after i cut off my old ones? Cuz that is an amazing deal!
                    Somebody on here put a set of stock GSXR cans on their pre kat head pipes. It might take some serious search-work, but I'm sure you can find it if you try. I haven't done it, so I don't know for sure.

EDIT- Here you go: http://katriders.com/vb/showpost.php...1&postcount=22
                    Last edited by loudnlow7484; 10-15-2011, 06:02 PM.
                    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I guess worst case i could cut my pipe and weld the size that fits the cans onto it and that should work...All of my friends are welders and grinders so that shouldnt be a prob. Thanks for the help, that is an awesome deal!

Comment

I guess worst case i could cut my pipe and weld the size that fits the cans onto it and that should work...All of my friends are welders and grinders so that shouldnt be a prob. Thanks for the help, that is an awesome deal!
                        No problem. Post pictures when you get it done.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                          No problem. Post pictures when you get it done.
                          I was reading another thread were you recomended the same exhuast to a guy from the Iron Pony but in that one you said he would need to go to post exhaust and oil pan....is that what i need to do if i buy that? it is just a slip on so i didnt think that would be an issue!

Comment

There is no such thing as a slip on for pre 98 katanas. You have to cut and weld.
                            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                            Originally posted by soulless kaos
                            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I was reading another thread were you recomended the same exhuast to a guy from the Iron Pony but in that one you said he would need to go to post exhaust and oil pan....is that what i need to do if i buy that? it is just a slip on so i didnt think that would be an issue!
                              Two different things. If you go to a post header and oil pan, you can use a SINGLE exhaust (the 03-04 ZX6R slipon isn't hard to fit). If you want to put new cans on your DUAL exhaust, you'll want something like the 07-08 GSXR1000 slipons (there are two per kit), and you wouldn't have to change the pan and pickup because you aren't changing your header.

In either case, you need to get a little bit creative to mount them. I wouldn't expect either to just bolt on and go (though the GSXR slipons will probably be pretty close).... but if you can weld on a couple of little adapters to your factory header, it should be pretty simple.
                              Last edited by loudnlow7484; 10-16-2011, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X