X

What was Suzuki thinking?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was Suzuki thinking?

What manufacture thinks its a good idea to put hex bolts on a exhaust manifold that is subject to high heat and water?

I managed to break free all but 2 bolts on my exhaust. They are rusted and rounded off. Any suggestions on breaking them free?

High heat + water + 21 y/o bike = ****ed off owner
    -------

What STOP sign?

Why are motorcycles better than women?
    Because you can't get diseases from motorcycles you don't know. "Not Sexist"

I thought Kats came with Allen head bolts? Now I gotta go check.

Comment

Shouldn't be hex bolts. Should have been allen head. I've had luck on cars running the engine to heat up the block and using vice grips to get th bolts out. When you do get the be sure to apply plenty of anti sieze on the reinstall.
      When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

When vice grips cant turn em about, drill them things out!
        "Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."

Comment

AHA! I was right. So PO replaced with hex heads.....nice. Gotta love silly people like that.

Comment

They should be socket cap allens, and you should consider putting some anti-seize on them when you put them back together.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
              They should be socket cap allens, and you should consider putting some anti-seize on them when you put them back together.
              OP should also seriously consider procuring some stainless hardware to use along with anti-sieze...they will be even easier to take out next time.

Comment

I meant allen head, sorry guys! haha

Would it be easier to drill them out and have a machine shop re-tap them?

I think I will cut the heads off to remove the header and try a stud remover, what do you all think?
                Last edited by str33tb1k3r; 10-14-2011, 11:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                -------

What STOP sign?

Comment

No. Cut a slot in them with a dremel tool or Hacksaw if you can. Try a large flatblade screwdriver first. Soak the hell out of them with PB Blaster, and try and do it when the engine is warm.

Comment

They were thinking who's going to replace the header on a touring bike.
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Another approach if you are able or get someone to do is weld another fastener on to the existing bolt/allen heads and use that to remove them....but definately heating them before. Good luck.
                      2004 GSX750F

Comment

I soaked the hell out of them for 3 days prior to attempting to remove them. I had the engine warm when I first attempted to get them off. I will try one last time with the flathead and then who knows.

Thanks for the help guys. I will prolly end up taking it to the machine shop to have them removed.
                        Last edited by str33tb1k3r; 10-14-2011, 12:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                        -------

What STOP sign?

Comment

Screw extractors? Slot the stud and use an impact screwdriver? Heat it up a little with a torch?

This is what happens when somebody doesn't use anti-seize.
                          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Harbor Freight has a cheap easy out kit.....
                            sigpic

Admin Removed Sig Due to Words. Do not Go Around the Swear Filter. Thank you KR MGMT

Haha.....

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaBrett View Post
                              Harbor Freight has a cheap easy out kit.....

And it's worth exactly what you pay for it......

Comment

Working...
                              X